• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mapping software for a total idiot

I have Campaign Cartographer 2, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I mean, I can make a map (more or less), but it seems a lot slower and harder than it needs to be. This is almost definitely my fault, but it doesn't help me much to know I'm an idiot. I need a solution.

My old way has always been to hand-draw maps, scan them in, and photoshop them into something readable (not that my photoshop skill are all that great either :p ). I can do that if I have to, but I was hoping there are some easier to use mapping programs out there that allow the creativity impaired among us to make decent looking maps.

Redrobes

First Post
It sounds like you need is some good advice on how to use CC.

This weekend is iCon and as part of the large number of vendors attending there are a few CC workshops.

http://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=104

So register yourself on the FUM boards and reply to one of the sessions saying "I want to attend". You will have to see what connection software they are using - skype and yugma seem to be the case on these.

I will be demoing mapping with ViewingDale too so if it takes your fancy, sign up to any one of those sessions as well.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Dundjinni is easier - but not that much easier. It suffers from a lot of design flaws as well.

And both take way too frikkin long to accomplish anything.

Frankly, I don't think either program is worth the money they ask for it. And the number of "help me" posts over the years when it comes to CC Pro - in any form - is shameful.

TogaMario

First Post
I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly plug the program that I made (and need to start working on again). Try FreeCountry out (check the help html that comes with it if you can't get it to run).

Available for free, at togamario.com

Imruphel

First Post
heruca said:
(snip) For an easier mapping experience, try the free demo of Dundjinni (www.dundjinni.com).

Easier? I'm not sure about that.

More importantly, Dundjinni seems to have been designed to totally consume every byte of system resources. I don't see it so much as a mapping programme but as something that stops my pc from working.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Steel_Wind said:
And the number of "help me" posts over the years when it comes to CC Pro - in any form - is shameful.

The vast majority of the "help me" posts I've seen outside of the CC2 Yahoo list over the years arise because the person asking hasn't bothered to do the tutorial in the manual yet.

That said, I was able to learn CC2 beyond the basics with a lot of practice and time investment. The addition of the drawing tools in CC2 Pro and the further improvements in CC3 have been a godsend and it is a much more user-friendly program than it was when I first bought it about a decade ago.

And I can't think of too many companies that go out of their way to help and listen to customers like Profantasy does. Profantasy provides A+ support of their software.

Steel_Wind

Legend
jaerdaph said:
The vast majority of the "help me" posts I've seen outside of the CC2 Yahoo list over the years arise because the person asking hasn't bothered to do the tutorial in the manual yet.

I think we shall agree to disagree.

While RTFM was an excusable position to take 15 years ago in software design - it is no longer the case and has not been in a very long time.

There are few people who would NOT agree that the learning curve on Profantasy's product line is far too steep and prevents the program from being effectively used by the large majority of its users.

I happen to think that's inexcusable software design. You may have a different opinion - but if I may be so bold - only one of those two opinions would be correct.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Your arguments might be accurate for CC-DOS and early CC2, but the learning curve has become increasingly less steep through CC2 Pro and CC3.

And I mispoke. It isn't a manual you need to read anymore. It's a short quick start quide that walks you quickly through the basics.

Edit: And anytime a company *doesn't* release a manual or documentation of some kind, they hear about it, even today.

Last edited:

Ayrk

First Post
jaerdaph said:
Your arguments might be accurate for CC-DOS and early CC2, but the learning curve has become increasingly less steep through CC2 Pro and CC3.

And I mispoke. It isn't a manual you need to read anymore. It's a short quick start quide that walks you quickly through the basics.

I'll second this statement. I was able to make a decent map in CC3 in about 20 minutes just following the 30-odd page Essentials guide you get with the program. While I know there is more that the program will do, it was nice to be up and running that quickly.

Remove ads