• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Map Creation Software with excellent import tools?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
So I've been looking to start creating some personalized maps I can use running my TTRPGs... but I do like using prepackaged settings and to my great disappointment, most of the map-making software I've tried out is AWFUL at importing maps. Mostly my goal is to "dumb down" published maps into something that looks like a real-world artifact that a reasonably artistic person living in the setting might have drawn. Maps below have been drastically reduced in quality so I can illustrate what I'm working for while trying to respect someone else's work.

Less this:
1710307127595.png

and more this:
1710307036515.png

And specifically I'd like to do it with Mystara maps, probably starting with stuff like Thorfinn Tait's excellent stuff at Atlas of Mystara

Does anyone know of a piece of software that would be good at these imports (or if there is some soft of collection of files native to a cartography program I could use to do this, I'd be interested in that as well)? Or can someone point me at a tutorial showing me how to do this with Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, Campaign Cartographer, or similar? I'm happy paying for commercial software if the functionality is there, but I've paid for a couple of things and the import function has been absolutely awful for a BECMI-style hex-map so I would prefer not to get burned again and get some assurance that the next tool I consider for purchase will be able to handle this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Definitely seems like wonderdraft meets your needs. That link and the map I did for my beyond baldurs gate product look like what you are asking for. I can't give you a tutor until tomorrow, bit I'll see what I can find.

Remove ads