• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Strength +2 Buff!

hong

WotC's bitch
Ashtal, you effin' munchkin.

With that out of the way :) I don't see anything particularly wrong with creating an item that works just like the gauntlets of ogre power, but use a different item slot. All the regular stat-boosting items in the DMG are pretty generic anyway, in terms of their prereqs and market price. In fact, IIRC there's a module that has one of the NPCs using a stat-boosting item that switches around the slots.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
We use Items that take alternate slots in our game, but they are from a special shop in Silverymoon (or any other greater city, Silverymoon's just the nearest bit city in our campaign) and cost a little extra: the +2 Versions go at 4500 instead of 4000.

And of course, there are Ioun Stones or Armors with enhancement bonuses to Strength. The Ioun Stones are available for 8000 GM and have a +2 enhance bonus, armors can have up to +4 (for 32000 price increase).

What race is the Bard, anyway?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
*giggles*

Oh, I freely admit I've munchkined out my Bard, with the blessings of the party and the GM. While I loved my Wizard and Druid, they had taken too many level hits, and were getting creamed in every battle.

The Bard, with her carefully selected items and totally legit-rolled initial stats, is VERY competent for a 9th level character and built entirely around making sure her Bard abilities have the most punch as possible as well as picking up the missing Rogue skills now that our thief has been retired (he turned to stone game before last, and my flailing Wiz & Druid dragged him back to town, sending my Bard and another PC in their places). I also sacrificed two feats in Archery to get Precise Shot and picked up the Bracers of Archery so I can still be effective in the back row, singing my lungs out.

Honestly - I really get a charge out of feeling competent. If it feels like my character can never connect a blow, contribute to the party, make the spell fly, over the course of an evening, I start to feel very discouraged. And while my new Bard may be twinky, she doen't always make her rolls. She does a damn good job at what she's designed to do and it feels good. Monday's game session was great - went fast, we went through a lot of dungeon, and almost all the players are finally clicking with their characters. The DM was happy, too!

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Ah the wonderful feeling of accomplishment when a well designed character fits a niche and is useful.

Wonderful feeling to help out, work together, and each be successful at your appointed task, no?

Like an elite special forces team, each has their area of expertise and when they all work together they are an efficient strike team that is able to get in, accomplish their objectives, and get out with a minimum of wasted movement.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I agree that a wand of bull's strength could be a great idea.

Cons:
-slightly more expensive (4500 gp vs. 4000 gp)
-finite uses
-must be activated, making it less useful if you're not expecting a fight.

Pros:
-At least half the time, it'll be significantly better than the gauntlet. If you have an odd-number strength score, it'll be significantly better 75% of the time.
-You can distribute the bonus amongst your party members -- especially nice for tough fights that you know about ahead of time.
-The three-hour duration will probably be all you'll need for a single foray into the dungeon.
-It doesn't take up an item slot.

One final alternative you could consider: purchase a 2nd-level pearl of power for your friendly local cleric, which she'll use for casting bull's strength on you every morning. Same cost as the gauntlets, infinite uses, probably imparts a better bonus than the gauntlets would, has a better duration than the wand (assuming your cleric is higher than third level), and is flexible in usage. Disadvantages: it's still not always on, meaning that it won't be useful if you're ambushed; and you don't have as much flexibility in using "charges" as you would have with a wand.

Daniel

dcollins

Explorer
As usual, I'll chime in and point out that changing the form of a magic item isn't free under the Core Rules.

- The "New Item" rules are intended for use by DMs, not players (DMG p. 243).
- Inventing a "new item" is supposed to be "in the same way that PC spellcaster can research a new spell" (DMG p. 178).
- Researching a new spell costs "1,000 gp per week and takes one week per level of the spell" (DMG p. 42).

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Well, it was 'free' as far as my GM was concerned. :)

As for the race - sorry for not answering earlier - I twinked out and chose Elf, for the Spot, Listen and Search bonuses, as well as the whole Secret Door and +2 to Dex. :D

Remove ads