• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Strength +2 Buff!

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
EEP! I need help! :)

I'm looking for a magic item that grants a bonus to Strength of the +2 variety, but it can't be a Gauntlet! I've found items for nearly every other Stat (Int, Cha, Wis, Dex) that all go +2 (4,000 gp), +4 (16,000 gp) and +6 (32,000 gp) - except for Strength! There's the Giant Belt, but that only goes +4 & +6 (IIRC).

Are there any +2's out there that I'm missing?!?!?

(The reason no Gauntlets is that I'm picking up a +2 Gloves of Dex .... I can have more than one Stat Buff item, right??)

Ashtal - HELP!

Artoomis

First Post
Sorry - you've got it right. Of course, there's no specific rules reason the Belt can't be made to be +2, it's just not the standard item. You can't get it "off the rack;" it needs to be cutsom-made for you.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
AFAIK, gauntlets of ogre power and the belt of giant's strength are the two core items that increase your strength. The reason is probably because both of these items were quite popular in 1st and 2nd edition D&D.

If you want a belt of giant's strength that also gives a +2 to strength like the rest of the buffing items, I see no problem there. The costs and prereq's should be the same as with the gauntlets.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
*nodnods*

I'm trying to make up this Bard and unfortunately she ended up with a negative in Strength. I'd like to at least eliminate the negative, but I think now I'll have to wait until tonight to complete the character, so I can talk about the item purchasing (he said here's 'X' gp, max cap on an item is 10,000 gp for our 9th level characters).

He'll probably okay it, but I don't want to go ahead with that assumption. I'll just list out the various alternatives. :)

Thank you, folks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy with regards to the +2/+4/+6 dichotomy.

Yes, we're twinking the hell out of these characters. It's RttToEE for gosh sakes!! :D

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
The other posters are right.

You don't necessarily have to have Gauntlets of Ogre Power. You can have Boots of Ogre Power, an Amulet of Ogre Power, Belt of Ogre Power, a Vest of Ogre Power, etc. You aren't limited to the item slot that they assign it in the DMG.

As long as it still takes up an item slot, and it has exactly the same power as the Gauntlets that they give as an example, another type of item will still cost the same.

So get your friendly mage or shopkeeper to make you a Belt of Ogre Power, or any other Item of Ogre Power that you want.

Any stat buffing item will cost 4k gp for +2, 16k for +4, and 36k for +6, no matter what type of item it is.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Yup, the items listed in the DMG are only common versions.

You can create virtually anything, that would grant you a +2 bonus to strength, within common sense, of course. A belt of strength +2 for example or bracers of strength +2.

There are, however, other listed items (if you insist that it must appear in printed form and don't use custom items), that grant strength bonuses besides the gauntlets of ogre power and the belt of giant strength.

One that I can come up with is an armour upgrade from Magic of Faerûn, which can be added to any armour (does not increase the effective enhancement bonus and therefore costs twice as much - 8000 gp for a +2 - because it doesn't use up any item slots). Page 137 MoF.

Bye
Thanee

Sigma

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
AFAIK, gauntlets of ogre power and the belt of giant's strength are the two core items that increase your strength. The reason is probably because both of these items were quite popular in 1st and 2nd edition D&D.

Also, the Hammer of Thunderbolts allows (and requires that) the two items stack.

Jeremy

Explorer
The other +2 to stat items are ioun stones and there is one for strength as well. That'll give you a "slotless" bonus to strength.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
OOOooOoOoo, I hadn't even thought about changing the base item!! That could make this even better!!

*prays to the Great DM Gods to make her DM in a happy, accomodating mood!*

Remove ads