• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for an extra Move Action

Mordane76

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Heroic Surge, a feat from The Wheel of Time sourcebook, and reprinted in some Modern book, allows an extra standard or move action once a day per 4 levels. I would balance it by making it a move action or a standard action that cannot be used for spellcasting.

No requirements to take it.

That's not a bad idea either... wasn't interested in using if for spellcasting, so that works well too.

Mordane76

First Post
hong said:
The Book of 9 Swords ability is Quicksilver Motion, in the Diamond Mind discipline: spend a swift action to get an extra move action for the round. Like all Bo9S maneuvers, it's generally usable only 1/encounter (although you can recharge).

I might just say that I had a rather messy extended orgasm on reading the Bo9S. It's like having all my kung fu schticks collected into one place and given a nice hardcover. Three thumbs up!

That's a lot of thumbs... :)
Thanks for the tip off.

Li Shenron

Legend
If it's a NPC, why don't you just make up a special ability yourself? Could be a feat or a spell or a magic item that works on him alone or has a limited amount of charges (so that the PC won't be able to take advantage of it when they kill him and take his stuff).

What about a potion of 3.0 Haste that the NPC found in a very very ancient (a.k.a. pre-2003 ;) ) tomb?

Mordane76

First Post
Li Shenron said:
If it's a NPC, why don't you just make up a special ability yourself? Could be a feat or a spell or a magic item that works on him alone or has a limited amount of charges (so that the PC won't be able to take advantage of it when they kill him and take his stuff).

What about a potion of 3.0 Haste that the NPC found in a very very ancient (a.k.a. pre-2003 ;) ) tomb?

Because I like to stay within the rules as much as I can, because in the end I expect at least some of my players will survive the encounter and thus get his gear. If I do something blatantly outside the expectations of the rules, some of them may ask for an explanation for how an NPC did something and I'd like to be able to tell them.

Li Shenron

Legend
Mordane76 said:
Because I like to stay within the rules as much as I can, because in the end I expect at least some of my players will survive the encounter and thus get his gear. If I do something blatantly outside the expectations of the rules, some of them may ask for an explanation for how an NPC did something and I'd like to be able to tell them.

Mah... why is your own house rule less valid than some obscure 3rd party published book? Because it's free of charge? ;)

PS The gear thing can be solved in many ways, just make the item one-charge only.

Veril

Explorer
If it's for an NPC don't worry about it. Just give them the ability or the item. Bump up their CR by whatever you feel is apropriate for it (1-2).

The easiest way to get a "free" move: A gnome wizard who only memorises shrink (personal) and teleport type spells. The gnome wizard is shrunk and strapped to your back and he teleports you around as his action.

No magic item an NPC has should ever fall into the hands of a PC unless you specificall allow it. There are so many ways of dissalowing it. Main one: Charges and he is just using the last charge.

phindar

First Post
There's a feat in AE called Speed Burst, its similar to the one listed above from WoT, but gives an extra move action once per round per two levels (so a 10th level character could take an extra move action in five separate founds). No prereqs.

I'd be more inclined to make it a feat, class ab, divine/infernal blessing rather than a piece of gear, for a couple of reasons. Mainly, I think if you're giving your npcs gear, that's part of the challenge in defeating those npcs, and should then be part of the loot. Otherwise, you are kind of screwing your players.

Machiavelli

First Post
I like the gnome wizard idea A LOT. If this is an evil NPC, I could totally see that happening.

Better yet: a kobold sorcerer, with those nifty bonuses I've seen added to them (like the ritual to boost spellcasting a little bit, and the opposite of Powerful Build that makes them sorta/kinda Tiny size)

Cam Banks

Adventurer
We reprinted the Heroic Surge feat in several of our Dragonlance books, also. In my campaigns, it's most often used to close with a target (free move action) and then deliver a full attack. It's definitely a useful feat to have, although the times/day thing can put some people off. From my experience, most players weren't using it more than once per encounter, though.

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads