• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamba

Legend
The issue I have with their definition is, they are not differentiating it from 5.0, which means it will all be jumbled together for buyers and sellers of 3pp, which since there are measurable differences, will be confusing.
not by version number, but I am pretty sure I can easily tell the 2014 PHB apart from the 2024 one.

For adventures and monster manuals it does not matter, they work with either. Books with subclasses will have an easy enough time to identify whether they follow the 2014 or 2024 model (or for you to adjust them if you were not sure and turned out wrong)

I am not expecting many problems from this

Last edited:

It's a new "edition" depending on how you define the term. If you mean that the books are have a different typesetting, etc. (like the "black book" revised 2e core books compared to the initial 2e core books), then yes, it's a new edition. If you mean that they're an iteration of a previous edition (like 1e > 2e, 3.e > 3.5e), then yes, it's a new edition. If you mean an entirely different rule set (like 2e > 3e or 3.5e > 4e), then no, it's not a new edition. The term "edition" as applied to books has many definitions. Because TSR (and, later, WotC) have abused the term, the term has no standard meaning anymore.
I mean a new set of rules that changed like 1e/2e and 3e/3.5
So, yes, it's a new edition. Also, no, it's not a new edition. The hand-wringing on both sides of the "argument" is amusing, though.

not by version number, but I am pretty sure I can easily tell the 2014 PHB apart from the 2024 one.
the very fact that you need to say "Hey this is for 2014 and this other one is for 2024" is enough to make it act like 3e/3.5 at least.
For adventures and monster manuals it does not matter, they work with either. Books with subclasses will have an easy enough time to identify whether they follow the 2014 or 2024 model (or for you to adjust them if you were not sure and turned out wrong)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I am not expecting many problems from this
I'm sure you're not. You've seemed pretty sanguine about everything (short of obvious problems like the OGL Crisis) WotC has done lately.

mamba

Legend
the very fact that you need to say "Hey this is for 2014 and this other one is for 2024" is enough to make it act like 3e/3.5 at least.
for subclasses, presumably, because I do not see a reason to say it for the rest. And 3.0 and 3.5 got mixed enough as well.

I am not seeing a big issue here, some will just shrug and use either in the same game with little adjustments, others will make more of a fuzz about it, for a reason that eludes me.

mamba

Legend
I'm sure you're not. You've seemed pretty sanguine about everything (short of obvious problems like the OGL Crisis) WotC has done lately.
yes, by and large I see it moving in the right direction, and I am not sweating the balance details, WotC can work those out without me nitpicking some playtest details.

Even if I did not like the direction I am not sure what your concern is however. Setting books, adventures and monster manuals stay compatible, and at that point you are not really looking for books of new subclasses. Am I missing something? Where does a lack of a clear separation of 2014 and 2024 affect you?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The debate was so heated that it was on the Great D&D Trivia Quiz Contest in Dragon Magazine, and the Designers couldn't agree when the 3rd attack happened. They ended up calling the question a wash.
Weird. The 2e PHB addressed this indirectly in the "Attacking With Two Weapons" section. In the example given, it's 1 attack on the first round and two attacks on the second round (fighting with two weapons adds one additional attack each turn).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's a new "edition" depending on how you define the term. If you mean that the books are have a different typesetting, etc. (like the "black book" revised 2e core books compared to the initial 2e core books), then yes, it's a new edition. If you mean that they're an iteration of a previous edition (like 1e > 2e, 3.e > 3.5e), then yes, it's a new edition. If you mean an entirely different rule set (like 2e > 3e or 3.5e > 4e), then no, it's not a new edition. The term "edition" as applied to books has many definitions. Because TSR (and, later, WotC) have abused the term, the term has no standard meaning anymore.

So, yes, it's a new edition. Also, no, it's not a new edition. The hand-wringing on both sides of the "argument" is amusing, though.
The hand-wringing about this is funny, since this the most clear and accurate WotC has ever been on a rules revisions status.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
yes, by and large I see it moving in the right direction, and I am not sweating the balance details, WotC can work those out without me nitpicking some playtest details.

Even if I did not like the direction I am not sure what your concern is however. Setting books, adventures and monster manuals stay compatible, and at that point you are not really looking for books of new subclasses. Am I missing something? Where does a lack of a clear separation of 2014 and 2024 affect you?
Future 3pp where it is unclear which version of 5e they are working under. I prefer 2014 over 2024, so I would like it if they were separated enough such that 3pp can clearly base their work on one or the other descriptively.

Reactions: JEB

mamba

Legend
Future 3pp where it is unclear which version of 5e they are working under. I prefer 2014 over 2024, so I would like it if they were separated enough such that 3pp can clearly base their work on one or the other descriptively.
I get that, but for most products it simply does not matter as far as I can tell. That is why I added those categories (monsters, adventures, subclasses, …)

What would you want to avoid buying, a 2024 subclass? Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads