• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) It's not worth it/we are out of luck/time

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I very much feel a great sense of despair and have resigned myself to the fact that it’s not worth it when it comes to One D&D discussions. And it is not because of anything WoTC has said or done.
Not worth what? Entertaining yourself by posting something and then having someone respond and then you posting back? What else is there to be gained for any of us here other than entertaining ourselves by just posting and "arguing" with other people about Dungeons & Dragons?

I mean, does anyone actually think their posts here have any meaning beyond just self-amusement? I certainly hope not. Because that should have been clear from the very beginning that nothing we say here impacts the game design whatsoever. So it doesn't matter in the least what any of us say or what any of us agree or disagree about.

That's the whole reason WotC has separate surveys for people to fill out to give their opinions on, rather than sending a schlub over here to scour all these pages on EN World looking for meaingful info.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Not worth what? Entertaining yourself by posting something and then having someone respond and then you posting back? What else is there to be gained for any of us here other than entertaining ourselves by just posting and "arguing" with other people about Dungeons & Dragons?

I mean, does anyone actually think their posts here have any meaning beyond just self-amusement? I certainly hope not. Because that should have been clear from the very beginning that nothing we say here impacts the game design whatsoever. So it doesn't matter in the least what any of us say or what any of us agree or disagree about.
Absolutely. If you're feeling any sort of strong emotion about the current discourse here around D&D, or any aspect of the overall game design, just step back from the internet and read a book for a bit, or go sit outside and soak up some sunshine. I think the phrase the cool meme kids use now is "touch grass"?

Basically, never build up too much of your identity around your hobbies. D&D is one of my primary hobbies, but if for some reason the new version simultaneously makes me want to vomit and becomes super popular, I'll just go do something else! I'll make some fun passive-aggressive comments on here and then I'll move on to something else that actually makes me happy. Life's too short to worry that one of my hobbies isn't doing something the right way.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

That's the whole reason WotC has separate surveys for people to fill out to give their opinions on, rather than sending a schlub over here to scour all these pages on EN World looking for meaingful info.
I think they may send a schlub around here and elsewhere is something throws up an unexpected result on the surveys of the comments are a load of meh! and not much else. Other than than no.
Also a lot of what goes on here is massively speculative. In that mountains of speculation constructed around mere tidbits of information.
We are extremely limited in what we can usefully say even on substantial UA documents because we have very little knowledge of how the UA fits into the larger framework.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think they may send a schlub around here and elsewhere is something throws up an unexpected result on the surveys of the comments are a load of meh! and not much else. Other than than no.
Also a lot of what goes on here is massively speculative. In that mountains of speculation constructed around mere tidbits of information.
We are extremely limited in what we can usefully say even on substantial UA documents because we have very little knowledge of how the UA fits into the larger framework.
Yeah, that is the only time when someone may wander over here for a bit of info dumpster diving, LOL. But as I said in the other thread about the same topic... that schlub probably only reads like the first three pages of the thread to get the general gist, and then the other 30+ pages of three people going back and forth over the same trivial point never even gets thought about. So those 30+ pages are there just for those folks to entertain themselves by "arguing" for days, not for any meaningful dialogue or use, heh heh.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Because if by some chance a schlub at WotC has been assigned to go "check on the masses" because there's a question about a particular playtest data point that Jeremy et. al. needed further confirmation on that was not made clear enough in the survey responses... that schlub ain't gonna spend their day reading through an entire EN World forum post that's up to around 40 pages with the same three people bitching back and forth to each other reiterating the same exact points they made back on page 3. At that point, the schlub will say "Yeah, okay, I got it..." and those three people are just doing it to hear themselves talk.
I suspect there probably is some miserable person at WotC reading all of these ENWorld and reddit threads. Hopefully we haven't driven them to drink at this point.

But yes, the better way to get feedback in is through the proper channels. These threads are probably best suited for figuring out what that sort of feedback should be prior to submission. I know I've had my point of view changed a number of times on issues relating to 1D&D.

Dire Bare

Legend
except no evidence has changed... we still have a 2014PHB dwarven bard not looking like a playtest dwarf bard
If the 2014 dwarven bard did look just like the 2024 dwarven bard . . . . what would be the point of a revised set of rules?

Of course the rules ARE going to be different, things WILL change. And the fan community will argue ad infinitum on the value of those changes . . . .

But the core game will still be the 5th Edition rules. You will still be able to use a 2014 bard subclass with your 2024 bard, or vice versa. Or your 2014 dwarf with your 2024 bard.

But we'll still be arguing this when the 2034 revised rules come out in another decade . . . . there will still be some convinced the different versions are just not compatible, while the rest of us shrug and keep on playing with all of our 5E books, 2014 and onward.

Remove ads