• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Index of Sample NPCs (Please Help)

Oryan77

Adventurer
I was pointed to this thread by another board member. This is great stuff!

I was actually interested in doing this exact same thing, only with Dragon & Dungeon magazines. I've already started doing the prep work on Dragon magazines and I'm wondering if anyone would want to help out? We could add them to the excel file on this thread :)

I'm only indexing NPC's from the magazines that can be used in the WotC core setting or any of the WotC settings (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, ect) and only NPC's that are built using D20 rules, including conversions of old settings (Planescape, Darksun, ect). I'm not indexing Modern NPC's or any real world history NPC's.

I only own up to Dragon issue #340 and I may be missing a couple issues inbetween. As for Dungeon mags, I haven't given it much thought yet since there will be many more NPC's to index from those magazines.

Anyone interested in helping out with this?

Kafkonia

First Post
Complete Scoundrel

CR 10; Peck, the Swan Street Slicer; halfling; rogue 7/avenging executioner 3; CN; Complete Scoundrel p. 28
CR 15; Elibor Gunter; dwarf; fighter 12/battle trickster 3; CN; Complete Scoundrel p. 30
CR 10; Mina Longacre; human; bard 7/cloaked dancer 3; CN; Complete Scoundrel p. 33
CR 11; Alexan; human; scout 9/combat trapsmith 2; N; Complete Scoundrel p. 37
CR 8; Sar Pios; human; fighter 2/rogue 3/fortune's friend 3; CN; Complete Scoundrel p. 40
CR 11; Ambros Brasmere; half-elf; paladin 7/gray guard 4; LG; Complete Scoundrel p. 44
CR 11; Sorilae Hartsel; human; sorcerer 8/magical trickster 3; NE; Complete Scoundrel p. 47
CR 12; Argyll Te'Shea; elf; cleric 8/malconvoker 4; CG; Complete Scoundrel p. 51
CR 10; Beriel; human; rogue 7/master of masks 3; CG; Complete Scoundrel p. 57
CR 10; Laughing Cedric; half-elf; spellthief 5/mountebank 5; CN; Complete Scoundrel p. 60
CR 12; Dieste Karisa; half-elf; psion 5/spellthief 1/psibond agent 6; NG; Complete Scoundrel p. 63
CR 12; Tessa Senchan; half-elf; rogue 1/wizard 6/spellwarp sniper 5; LN; Complete Scoundrel p. 67
CR 10; Ameslan Trag; gnome; rogue 7/uncanny trickster 3; CG; Complete Scoundrel p. 70
CR 14; Valek Xander; Tiefling; rogue 8/gatecrasher 5; CG; Complete Scoundrel p. 132
CR 7; Mistress Eve; human; bard 4/rogue 3; N; Complete Scoundrel p. 137
CR 11; Katsuo Golddragon; human; rogue 7/scout 4; NG; Complete Scoundrel p. 141

Oryan77

Adventurer
I just started to work on an NPC index for 3.0/3.5 Dragon Magazines (and wanted to do Dungeon). I was hoping to add it to this list :)

But I think I'm going to forget about this idea. I got to issue 279 and became discouraged. I think a lot of these stat blocks are wrong.

For example, the NPC named Vinter on pg 44 (issue 279) shows he's a 14th lvl Cleric Drider. It says he's a CR 15 creature :confused: Wouldn't this NPC be CR 21? His hitpoints are wrong also. It only has HD 14d8+42 for a total of 115 hps...it's not adding in the Drider HD 6d8+30. I also think it's bite attack bonus is wrong.

I saw the same type of errors on many other NPC's in the Dragon mags. I figure if issue 279 is this bad, then there's no telling how many issues have incorrect NPC stats. I don't think it's worth making an index that has flawed NPC writeups...and I don't have time to check work that should have been checked before it was published :\

I guess a Dragon/Dungeon mag NPC index would be a hassle since people wouldn't know an NPC is written up wrong when they go to use it.

Kafkonia

First Post
Oryan77 said:
For example, the NPC named Vinter on pg 44 (issue 279) shows he's a 14th lvl Cleric Drider. It says he's a CR 15 creature :confused: Wouldn't this NPC be CR 21? His hitpoints are wrong also. It only has HD 14d8+42 for a total of 115 hps...it's not adding in the Drider HD 6d8+30. I also think it's bite attack bonus is wrong.

Don't driders cast spells as an nth-level cleric? So "14th level Cleric" may be a misrepresentation of things, inasmuch as it means "casts as 14th level cleric" and not "took 14 levels of cleric."

This is pure speculation on my part.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Kafkonia said:
Don't driders cast spells as an nth-level cleric? So "14th level Cleric" may be a misrepresentation of things, inasmuch as it means "casts as 14th level cleric" and not "took 14 levels of cleric."

This is pure speculation on my part.
I thought it might've been something like that, so I used Etools to quickly figure it up. The mags attack bonuses seemed to reflect a lvl 14 cleric Drider (besides the bite attack). And when I level a Drider up to an 8th lvl cleric to make it a CR 15, it does have 14d8 HD like the mag shows, but it should also have 70 bonus hitpoints and the mag only lists 42 bonus hitpoints...it's not adding in the cleric level bonus hitpoints.

I admit, I'm no pro at levelling up NPC's. I'd say my knowledge about it is average. So maybe I'm totally overlooking something. But at first glance, this stuff looks wrong. I think the other NPC's in the same article also had incorrect CR's.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly continue working on the index :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads