• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In which D&D product did Orcus die?

Garnfellow

Explorer
I just glanced through my copy of Monster Mythology, and I didn't find so much as an allusion to Orcus's death in either the dark elves section of the introduction to the "Gods of the Underdark" chapter, or in Kiaransalee's write up. I think the idea that she slew Orcus came later, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Is Orcus even in that book?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Is Orcus even in that book?

He's not, nor is he ever mentioned. While I suppose this could be construed as circumstantial evidence for his death (compared to, say, Demogorgon, who was promoted to being a deity) there are other demon lords who also aren't in this book, such as Graz'zt, who were clearly never dead, so Orcus not being there doesn't really mean much.

TAnd H4 is horrible. Among other stuff, it has a fat, chain smoking solar with a texan accent living in his celestial fortress of El Amo. *cold stare* Let us never speak of it again. It's best scrubbed from collective memory, and any notion of 1e/2e/3e continuity.
Gah... too late! :(

Must think of something else, must think of something else....

Garnfellow

Explorer
He's not, nor is he ever mentioned. While I suppose this could be construed as circumstantial evidence for his death (compared to, say, Demogorgon, who was promoted to being a deity) there are other demon lords who also aren't in this book, such as Graz'zt, who were clearly never dead, so Orcus not being there doesn't really mean much.

Isn't there a full page painting of Orcus being summoned out of a pit in that book?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Isn't there a full page painting of Orcus being summoned out of a pit in that book?

Yeah, a piece by Keith Parkinson (may he rest in peace) on page 116, though I always thought it was a statue that had flames at the base. That said, he's still not mentioned in the book.

Jaysue said:
It's clearly a conspiracy organized by the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people under the supervision of the reverse vampires.

*gasp* Reverse vampires?!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
There's plenty of info on this in the Thanatos and Demon Web sections of Fiendish Codex Volume 1: Hordes of the Abyss, including the drow goddess's punishment at the hands of Lolth and tons of stuff about Orcus's home realm and how it dealt with his absence.

Of course, a lot of this has probably been erased by the great planar continuity eraser that smudged up the planes following the birth of 4e, but I'd like to hope and pretend that at least some of it lives on in the modern version.

--Erik

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And H4 is horrible. Among other stuff, it has a fat, chain smoking solar with a texan accent living in his celestial fortress of El Amo. *cold stare* Let us never speak of it again. It's best scrubbed from collective memory, and any notion of 1e/2e/3e continuity.

I'll remember El Amo forever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads