• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In which D&D product did Orcus die?

dead

Explorer
All I know about Orcus's death is that he was slain by Kiaransalee, the drow goddess of undead. But in which D&D product is this event first outlined? Was there a novel line that told this story or series of modules detailing the event?

I know the Planescape adventure Dead Gods involves the resurrection of Orcus but his death seems to take place on the side lines for such a major event.

I thought perhaps the Bloodstone (H1-4) series of adventures might have something to do with it but I don't think that series has anything to do with Kiaransalee.

FireLance

Legend
I believe it was first mentioned in the 2E Planescape product Planes of Chaos, in the description of the realm Thanatos. Orcus was not mentioned by name. Instead, it was stated that:
"Kiaransalee ... recently wrested this plane from the former Abyssal lord of the undead. That's lord's name is never spoken now, as Kiaransalee has decreed that it must be struck from each monument, slave band, and scroll."​

Chris Gardiner

First Post
I believe it was in H4 Throne of Bloodstone ("for character levels 18-100"!) - the heroes of that module had to destroy Orcus' rod, which must have at least weakened him. Don't know if Kiaransalee actually finished him off, or if he died when his wand was destroyed, or if what passes for the D&D continuity assumed that the PCs murderised him in order to get his rod.

Pretty sure Kiaransalee isn't mentioned in the Bloodstone modules.

The Throne of Bloodstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great cover.

And because it can't be said enough: "For character levels 18-100".

!

Shemeska

Adventurer
The timeline and events for H4 don't match up with the events of any of the 2e modules and sourcebooks than handle the death of Orcus / rise of Tenebrous, nor the 3e books that mention his return to the Abyss.

H4 has the PCs destroy the wand of Orcus, while the later materials have the wand seized and hidden by Kiaranselee. with Orcus desperate to regain it as a method to forstall or halt his consumption by the Last Word.

And H4 is horrible. Among other stuff, it has a fat, chain smoking solar with a texan accent living in his celestial fortress of El Amo. *cold stare* Let us never speak of it again. It's best scrubbed from collective memory, and any notion of 1e/2e/3e continuity.

Stoat

Adventurer
I won't quibble that H4 is a silly, silly adventure, but to what extent is it responsible for describing and detailing Thanatos? IIRC and IDHMBWM, but I think it was the first time that Orcus' realm was described in any detail. I'm under the impression that the map of Thanatos in FC1 is at least inspired by the maps in H4.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I'm pretty sure Orcus "died" offstage. When 2e came out in 1989, of course, demons and devils were removed from the game entirely. This removal was a stupid and weak-kneed sop to the "Angry Mothers from Heck" movement, and TSR regretted the decision almost from the start.

In 1991 demons and devils were reinstated in the Monstrous Compendium: Outer Planes Appendix, but the demon lords and princes and the archdevils were still missing. (Almost all of the demon and devil races were given significant power boosts, and balors and pit fiends were set up to replace the archfiends.)

In 1992 Monster Mythology appeared and reinstated many of the archfiends, but now they were statted up as gods. However, some were still missing. (In general, the ones with the most "demony" or "devily" appearance.) I believe this is the first mention of Kiaransalee and first account of Orcus's death.

Finally, it took 1997's Dead Gods to bring Orcus all the way back into D&D.

Wycen

Explorer
In 1992 Monster Mythology appeared and reinstated many of the archfiends, but now they were statted up as gods. However, some were still missing. (In general, the ones with the most "demony" or "devily" appearance.) I believe this is the first mention of Kiaransalee and first account of Orcus's death.

This I believe is the product first mentioning his death by Kiaransalee. It was one of the blueish-gray covered books of the 2E days.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

I just glanced through my copy of Monster Mythology, and I didn't find so much as an allusion to Orcus's death in either the dark elves section of the introduction to the "Gods of the Underdark" chapter, or in Kiaransalee's write up. I think the idea that she slew Orcus came later, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Remove ads