• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part IV

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Warm food will go well," Nethezar nods in agreement.

As you enter the inn, you are welcomed by a cozy yet comfortable common room. While the place has the utilitarian aspects you'd expect for a wayside inn, rather than a country getaway or a city establishment, it is still inviting. There are a small handful of other patrons, mostly also eating their lunches on the go, from the looks of it.

A polite human serving maid happily clears a table for you, and in relatively short order you have a warm meal consisting of a hearty stew, hefty bread, a gallon of ale to share, and even a sweet cookie for dessert. Even at the slightly inflated price of 4 gold total, it seems worth it, especially in light of the meals you've been eating on the road.

While you eat, the barkeep takes a couple minutes out of his time to introduce himself and make a bit of idle chit-chat. He gives you a bit of the news he's heard and listens to any you care to share, though mostly it is just idle talk.

Near the end of the meal, you all become aware that a young human male, no more than 17, has been eyeing you. Once it is clear that you've noticed him, he sheepishly approaches. He looks down at his shoes, avoid eye contact, and you can see a red welt on the right side of his face, which will likely become a bruise later on.

"Sor... sorry to bother, sirs," he gives an individual nod to each of the men. "Lady," he adds as he gives a clumsy half-bow to Erdolliel. "I'm wonderin' if you might have need of a boy for... anything. I can help carry baggage for you, or run messages or the like." Even the less socially adept of you can see that the lad is, basically, on the verge of begging for money. However, even as self-deprecating as he is, he doesn't just ask for money.

worthley

First Post
Bazrim responds to the young man in a firm, but not frightening tone, "Boy, you need a job, or do you just need some coin? ...... And were is your family?"

Last edited:

michael_noah

First Post
"Were are they indeed!" says Kushnak with a chuckle and a slap on the back for Bazrim. "If you're drunk already, we've got problems."

His thumb pointing at the boy, he turns to the barkeep and asks, "Do you know this one?"

Dichotomy

Explorer
The barkeep, who had already moved on to other patrons, quickly takes notice once Kushnak vies for his attention. He approaches with an apologetic demeanor.

"I'm so sorry, sir. I promise you that we don't abide this kind of thing here." The barkeep then turns to the boy. His tone is rebuking, though he is not unkind.

"Son, I asked no questions when all you wanted was water. But I can't be having you begging from my paying customers."

"I wouldn't beg sir!" the young man implores. He quickly turns to Bazrim. "A job, not free coin. I had coin for my travel from the Free City, but I got robbed by these two huge monsters. Trolls or giants or something."

Nethezar leans over toward Eskard and whispers far too loudly, "Get me a rag. I am going to start crying soon."

worthley

First Post
Bazrim speaks to the boy with a tone that lets everyone know he's completely serious"To be honest kid, I might have a job for ya, depending on how well you know know the Free City, and if we would be daring enough to trust you. Just a little warning though, we've had more than enough reasons not to trust people lately."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Seeing that at least part of the group wants to hear what the boy has to say, the barkeep nods to the group and backs off. However, he remains nearby, just in case it becomes necessary to step in.

Noting both Erdolliel's at least partial interest in his plight, and Bazrim's almost job offer, the boy's face brightens. "Sir, you can trust me, Sir! I'm no theft or hoodlum. Just down on my luck. And I know the Free City right good. Lived there with my folks the last three years," he adds, boastfully.

He turns to Erdolliel. "Milady, they hit me right on the road. Not even five miles from here. If you're heading out today yet, I bet you'd pass the spot they got me well before dark!" The lad seems clearly eager to offer as much help as he can.

"Dammit!" Nethezar barks at Eskard. "Now I'm gonna lose it!" The cleric then dabs a finger into his ale and drips a couple drops of liquid under his eyes. Nethezar's face twists into a ridiculous looking frown. "See!"

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel starts guffawing and slaps the cleric on the back. After she gains control of herself she continues with her meal. "We're indeed heading out today boy, but I have no intention to pay you. I certainly don't speak for everyone at the table though."

o3caudata

First Post
Eskard sprays beer from his mouth as he bursts out laughing at Nethezar's mocking.

"RAR!" Eskard shouts, feigning a lunge at the boy. He continues laughing, while pounding the table with his fist.

Remove ads