How Visible To players Should The Rules Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemerton

Legend
I suppose there are game systems and/or styles that allow the player to actually place Checkov's Gun, but those would be pretty rare and weird in actual play.
GM: You guys enter the tavern. go ahead and give me some things you see inside and I'll make note of them.
Player: Above the bar a shining broadsword hangs. Unbeknownst to us or even the bartender, it is Grothmag's Thistle and before the moon is full again, i will use it to slay my old master.
GM: Umm...
Player: Dance monkey. Give me my sword!
Setting the parody to one side, have you played much Burning Wheel? Or 4e D&D with player-authored quests?

pemerton

Legend
If the players are the only ones driving play, there still is going to be a plot. If there wasn't a plot to follow, why would you be role-playing such a RPG?
If the players are driving play, any plot will be emergent/post-hoc.

I'm not sure I fully understand your second sentence - as in, I'm not sure what you mean by "such a RPG".

Here's an extract from play of a RPG session that was player-driven, did not have a plot to follow, and was a lot of fun at the time: https://www.enworld.org/threads/played-some-wuthering-heights-today.672161/

Reynard

Legend
I'm not sure its actually necessary to GM to have an opinion on the techniques thereof. If you've been a player, you've certainly been on the receiving end of the consequences of that technique.
If you understand the actual techniques used, which is dependent on how transparent the GM was being. Count me among those a little sus of armchair quarterbacks.

Reynard

Legend
Setting the parody to one side, have you played much Burning Wheel? Or 4e D&D with player-authored quests?
I have never run (or read) Burning Wheel in any of its forms.

I have run a lot of D&D with player driven action, who had characters with goals and motivations and things they wanted to do.

but that wasn't what I was parodying. I was parodying the specific idea of the player generated Chekhov's Gun -- the player declares the key to story into existence. Again, I am sure some games allow for that, and I am also sure not all players can be trusted with that responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads