• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you handle randomly rolling for stats

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
I give the choice of array or (4d6, lose lowest dice) x6. If you roll then you keep the results NO MATTER WHAT. This led to a dwarf warrior with a dex of 6. Hilarious accidents happened to him all the time yet he somehow survived the campaign. The low score added a heap of fun to the game as he insisted on action hero D&D.

"I swing from the chandelier above the monsters"
"OK, roll an acrobatics check..........You fall prone in the middle of the enemy"

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This is where I say "stat draft."

But back when I used to have people roll (I have never used point buy or arrays), we did 4d6dL in order x2 and then pick the set you prefer, if either sets modifiers added up to less than +1, you could re-roll it if you want.

My group each rolls 4d6, drop the lowest (in front of everyone). Each array is made available to every player. Anyone can pick any array and arrange them how they want.

There is usually one array that is a bit better than the others, and most players take that array. When that happens, they are equitable to each other. Random + Equitable = Fun!

If there is more than one compelling array (maybe one has an 18, 16, 13, 12, 11, 7 and another array has 15, 15, 15, 14, 13, 10), it is still balanced because they have the freedom to choose.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
That's an interesting and very convenient site.

Liked the idea more than the implementation. Here's my Javascript for comparison:
JavaScript:
    <script>
function roll() {
    // start with all 8s and purchase a +1 increase in one random stat until all points are used up
    let pts = 27;
    let stats = [8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8];
    let costs = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2];
    let stat;
    let output = document.getElementById("output");
    while (pts > 0) {
        let cantbuy = true;
        let cost;
        while (cantbuy) {
            stat = Math.floor(Math.random() * 6);
            console.log("roll " + stat);
            cost = costs[stats[stat]-8];
            cantbuy = (cost > pts) || (stats[stat] > 14);
        }
        pts -= cost;
        stats[stat]++;
        console.log("increase " + stat + ", pts left " + pts);
    }
    output.textContent += "STR: " + stats[0] +
                        "  CON: " + stats[1] +
                        "  DEX: " + stats[2] +
                        "  INT: " + stats[3] +
                        "  WIS: " + stats[4] +
                        "  CHA: " + stats[5] + ".\n";
}
    </script>
And originates from here! Though the participants aren't really here any more

delericho

Legend
I let each individual player choose either random roll, point buy, or standard array. If they choose to roll, they are expected to accept the results of that roll. And to play the character in good faith - no suiciding a 'bad' character!

Though it's mostly a moot point - since I started offering that choice, nobody has chosen to roll.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
My current campaign features a few older (2e era) adventures that I've updated to 5e. This has resulted in some very tough encounters. So I decided to be very generous with character creation, which included not only rolling for ability scores, but a few safeguards in case someone ends up with bad rolls, as follows:

*Roll 4d6; you may re-roll a single result of "1". Then take the best three dice.
You may re-roll one ability score or add 2 points to an ability score with a value less than 10.
*If, after this, you find your character only has a single ability score of 15 or higher, or more than one ability score of less than 10, you may re-roll one ability score or add 2 points to an ability score with a value less than 10.

*There's a third option, to start with a minor magic item, chosen from a curated list, if you're perfectly content with your ability scores.

And as a secret, unknown factor, the character with the worst ability score array can replace their lowest ability score with an 18.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I once rolled again (the DM told me so) after rolling my very bad array. I rolled a very good array...
I chose the bad one... in a two player campaign... I did not regret it.

It is easer to support such a character in a game with fewer players. When there's only one other character, getting spotlight is pretty easy, no matter your stats. When there's five other characters that are more powerful, it is harder for a weaker one to shine.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I let each individual player choose either random roll, point buy, or standard array. If they choose to roll, they are expected to accept the results of that roll. And to play the character in good faith - no suiciding a 'bad' character!
I've no problem if they suicide a bad character, but it has to get into play first and die while adventuring. Hell, it's what would most likely have happened to it anyway: the character finds out the hard way that he's just not quite up to the task of adventuring.

It's called sorting the wheat from the chaff, and IMO it's what low-level play is all about. :)

ezo

I cast invisibility
I have a few different methods, depending on my mood and what sounds good to the group:

1. Regular 5E roll 4d6, drop lowest; use point-buy, use standard array. Choose and go with it, no switching methods.
2. Roll 4d6, drop lowest, IN ORDER. You roll one additional time, and can replace any roll with the additional one.
3, Roll 2d4+7, arrange to taste.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I use the array, then allow players to roll against each score, in order. Better score wins.

I've never made someone reroll scores because they "rolled too well" in front of me. That's... I do not have a high opinion of that concept.

Remove ads