• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Other than the fact that she's black, how in the heck is that "Storm"?

Lessee, we've had comments that this looks too anime (hello, 2003 called, it would like it's complaint back), it looks like Storm from X-Men because... she's black? and Strixhaven, because... she's a wizard?

Y'all realize that this isn't the complete image right? This is just a cropped part. Just like the other Silver Dragon image in the other thread?

But, sure, keep up the good work. Gotta keep that negativity flowing. Endlessly bitch about how WotC isn't talking about 50th Anniversary enough and the new release, and, when they do actually talk about it, do nothing but endlessly bitch about the work they are doing.

Why in hell do you people even participate in the hobby? I don't get it. It utterly baffles me that people who obviously hate everything WotC does, no matter what they do, continue to tell all and sundry that they hate WotC. Do you really think that if you complain just that one more time people will finally see the light and pat you on the head and tell you how right you are? What do you get out of this?
If you don’t tell people, will they even know that everything peaked in the 80s and it’s been all downhill since then?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
you are free to suggest one, stylistically I see this more as superhero art than fantasy art
a) it looks like mtg art the mystical sigils stuff is fairly standard as magic has to look like something and few seem to be inventing an alternative.
b) the only way I can see you getting Wakanda from that art sounds rather accusatory and I would prefer not to start a fight, do you catch my meaning? I am assuming it is something else just for the record

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Funny, I never realized that spell made spellsbooks and staffs "float".... :unsure: [Checks spell description...] No, nothing there. Hmm... I suppose the book might be resting on a stand we can't see?

Strange place for globe of invulnerability, too, since she can't go anywhere with it. Oh, I know, maybe her fellow "wizards" are off screen and going to bombard her with 5th and lower level spells to see if she successfully cast the globe? She's just practicing. Yep, very wizardly. Ok, you've convinced me. :p

Wait! I see it now, there's another spellbooks up top! This is a simple Globe of Spellbook Repulsion spell, used by wizards everywhere when they get tired of studying and have simply had enough. She's probably preparing to multiclass to cleric, sorcerer, or warlock to free herself from the "tie of the tome" shackle that has been keeping her back all these years.

Anyway, put the book in one hand and the staff in the other and it would be more D&D and less "Storm" IMO. Still not great, but ok.
it is supposed to look cool and powerful

FitzTheRuke

Legend
a) it looks like mtg art the mystical sigils stuff is fairly standard as magic has to look like something and few seem to be inventing an alternative.
b) the only way I can see you getting Wakanda from that art sounds rather accusatory and I would prefer not to start a fight, do you catch my meaning? I am assuming it is something else just for the record

Yeah, I think the "Storm" argument has more merit (not a lot more, but a bit) than "Wakanda". That one doesn't go far beyond black, other than maybe "black and awesomely stylish looking".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean, you nail it here. It's meant to look like a cool wizard to inspire players to play one.

It's the image from the PHB Wizard's title page. They've said that there's art for each subclass, too, so we're going to see at least four more Wizards in the Wizard section alone (far or less all the ones that we will see elsewhere in the book in "party" shots).

One thing that I bet we can expect: The others will look very different from this one.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I just want to see some D&D characters who are actually wearing their backpacks....
You almost never want to fight with a backpack on. It's horribly impractical. In an ideal situation you would leave it at camp and travel with a combat load, not the pack.
And what is with the glasses? You have "glowing power wizard eyes" but you need glasses? Must be trying to be stylish.
As a glasses wearer (who could have gotten lasik but didn't) I love seeing glasses in D&D. They are appropriate for the mythology and in real life did nothing to limit myself or other members of elite military units.

Poor vision is likely the most common disability and D&D has ignored it for ages. Accepting that people with poor vision can be heroes just like they are in real life is a great moment.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Ah. I get it. It's not a lack of imagination - it's that you're using all your imagination to find all the ways that you could deny this picture's validity, instead of using it to support the fiction being told to you by this artist.
What fiction? That is part of the issue I take with it. (As @Hussar says, this might be cropped section, and there could be more...)

FWIW,
So is your "gritty old wizard in a pointy hat".
I don't need this, either, for it to be D&D.

Take this image out of the thread, and it could be any fantasy-type image. Nothing about it tells me it represents "D&D".

Other than the fact that she's black, how in the heck is that "Storm"?
The pose. The things floating around her? I suppose you could say it's telekinesis instead. 🤷‍♂️

Y'all realize that this isn't the complete image right?
Actually, no, I didn't. Until I just saw the cropped image / full image post in the other thread, I thought this was the complete image. For all I know, it is until someone posts the full one.

Why in hell do you people even participate in the hobby?
For the same reason sports fans enjoy sports. Its a hobby.

Do you really think that if you complain just that one more time people will finally see the light and pat you on the head and tell you how right you are?
Nope, I can't speak for the others, but for myself--not at all.

What do you get out of this?
A chance to vent. Just like watching a sports game when a referee makes a bad call. To me, this is a bad call. Why does that bother you so much?

Disagree with me all you want, but I have just as much right to voice why and how something involving a hobby I love doesn't work for me as you or others to do praise it.

Not really a fan of the completely impractical bits of metal armor.
Yes, this, too...

Storm's eyes go white when she uses her powers; She's a young black woman with white hair (Storm's is whiter than the Wizard's, but still); Things tend to fly around in her wind like the books are doing; There's a similar sort of "pause" that this artwork has - she's floating there doing her thing while things fly around her, and THEN the action happens. It all adds up to a similar "feeling" to Storm, even though this woman doesn't actually really look like Storm in any real way. She evokes the feeling.
Nailed it. Thanks.

If you don’t tell people, will they even know that everything peaked in the 80s and it’s been all downhill since then?
Well, not everything. ;)

Tastes differ, is all I can say. I've seen a lot more AI art that looks better IMO.

ezo

I cast invisibility
As a glasses wearer (who could have gotten lasik but didn't) I love seeing glasses in D&D. They are appropriate for the mythology and in real life did nothing to limit myself or other members of elite military units.

Poor vision is likely the most common disability and D&D has ignored it for ages. Accepting that people with poor vision can be heroes just like they are in real life is a great moment.
I wear glasses at times (night driving, mostly), but I just find them odd on D&D adventures, mostly because magic would fix any vision issues, right? So, a PC as "powerful" as this one "seems" to be, it just strikes me as strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads