• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Grappling - What am I missing?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Ok, so I just read the grappling rules, and I'm left wondering to myself, "what's the point?" According to the rules, when you grab an opponent it imposes the "grappled" condition. The grappled condition says only that a grappled creature has a move speed of 0, and it explains how to escape from the condition. But that's it. So here are some things you can do while you are grappled:

* Attack your grappler with a two-handed sword
* Load and shoot your crossbow at someone else
* Cast a spell with VSM components
* Pick a lock
* Write a note
* Play a song on the lute
* Dodge

Grappling an opponent allows you to move the opponent, but apparently that's it. Here are things that grappling doesn't let you do.

* Restrain the opponent
* Inflict damage
* Prevent actions

So again, what am I missing? Is it really necessary to have elaborate rules just for picking up and carrying someone around? Because from what I can tell, that's all you really do when you grapple someone.

Joe Liker

First Post
The main point of vanilla grappling is to keep the target stationary. If he can't move, he can't:
  • run away
  • run over to your wizard friend and stab him
  • run over to the McGuffin and grab it before the heroes do

It's not intended to be something you'll want to do in every fight.

With the Grappler feat, however, you can restrain the target, plus some other neat stuff.

P.S. If you think these rules are elaborate, you should have seen them in 1st edition!

Schmoe

Adventurer
Maybe the issue is more that the action and condition are misnamed, because the game effects don't resemble anything like what I picture grappling to be. Instead of Grapple, it should have been Grab. If that's the case, though, then my question is how do I grapple someone?

For what it's worth, I remember trying to use the 1e grappling rules back in the day. I never did understand what we were doing, but that didn't stop us from doing it repeatedly!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Ok, so I just read the grappling rules, and I'm left wondering to myself, "what's the point?" According to the rules, when you grab an opponent it imposes the "grappled" condition. The grappled condition says only that a grappled creature has a move speed of 0, and it explains how to escape from the condition. But that's it. So here are some things you can do while you are grappled:

* Attack your grappler with a two-handed sword
* Load and shoot your crossbow at someone else
* Cast a spell with VSM components
* Pick a lock
* Write a note
* Play a song on the lute
* Dodge

Grappling an opponent allows you to move the opponent, but apparently that's it. Here are things that grappling doesn't let you do.

* Restrain the opponent
* Inflict damage
* Prevent actions

So again, what am I missing? Is it really necessary to have elaborate rules just for picking up and carrying someone around? Because from what I can tell, that's all you really do when you grapple someone.

So, if a character is grappled by say a giant crocodile (using it's bite attack), shouldn't it take bite damage each round it's grappled? I doubt the giant croc is grabbing an opponent just to hold it and keep it all warm and cozy in its jaws.

Skyscraper

Explorer
Perhaps then rename "grapple" to "grab", and have the "grappler feat" be necessary to actually "grapple" anyone. And perhaps allow anyone without the grappler feat be able to grapple (per the grappler feat) an opponent, however with disadvantage.

Would that make more sense to you?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
So, if a character is grappled by say a giant crocodile (using it's bite attack), shouldn't it take bite damage each round it's grappled? I doubt the giant croc is grabbing an opponent just to hold it and keep it all warm and cozy in its jaws.

The croc can attack with its bite while grappling or you can give a croc an ability to deal damage automatically when it has someone grappled with its bite?

Schmoe

Adventurer
The crocodile actually has special rules regarding it's bite. No, grappling someone with its bite does not inflict bite damage. Here is the description:

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 piercing damage, and the target is grappled. Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile can't bite another target.

So the crocodile can do damage to someone it has grappled by making further bite attacks. The only reason that the person has any restrictions on what it can do, aside from not being able to move away, is because the bite also says that the person is restrained. The restrained condition is also the only reason the crocodile has any advantage biting the grappled person.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
The crocodile actually has special rules regarding it's bite. No, grappling someone with its bite does not inflict bite damage. Here is the description:

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 piercing damage, and the target is grappled. Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile can't bite another target.

So the crocodile can do damage to someone it has grappled by making further bite attacks. The only reason that the person has any restrictions on what it can do, aside from not being able to move away, is because the bite also says that the person is restrained.

Yep. Just seems weird that it even needs to make a bite attack. Doesn't seem like it'd miss if it's holding someone in its teeth. Though I guess a natural 1 (fumble) could mean it chips a tooth and lets go...damn plate armor.

EDIT: There are probably a few exceptions, like the Marilith. It can automatically deal damage to a grappled target with its tail attack.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
Perhaps then rename "grapple" to "grab", and have the "grappler feat" be necessary to actually "grapple" anyone. And perhaps allow anyone without the grappler feat be able to grapple (per the grappler feat) an opponent, however with disadvantage.

Would that make more sense to you?

That sounds like it might be a reasonable option. It's just weird that the PHB would have rules for grappling, but if I have a PC who wants to wrestle an opponent to the ground, I have to come up with a complete set of house rules for it. I find it a little annoying.

Remove ads