• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Foundry VTT creating is own rule system

Yora

Legend
I want some kind of sales pitch that tells me why I might be interested in picking this game over any other game that's already out there.
Simply stating that the game has all the things any other game already has doesn't catch my attention. Even when they are amazing, innovative, ground-breaking, extraordinary, detailed, ...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've barely played other games, so even if I paid for the Patreon, but sure I could answer that. Outside super serious gamers, do we think most have played more than one or two systems?

That sounds like the players pushing their own personal boundaries. That doesn't sound like game design pushing boundaries.

mamba

Legend
Kinda the point, I think.
not sure you have to stay so vague

They don't have a license for 5e and are limited in how well they support it. If they can make a D&D-like system that can be fully supported by the Foundry developers and take advantage of Foundry's features without needing users to rely on a bunch of community-supported mods, it would be attractive to many existing customers and could attract more customers.
They will get Tales of the Valiant, which sounds like it will be much more 5e-like than a classless system like the one they are apparently building

Foundry's greatest selling point is how customizable and extensible it is, but that is also a limiting factor. For the majority of gamers, I expect they don't want VTT customization to be a second hobby. They just want to be able to easily run games the fully support the system they are playing with. Since Foundry relies so heavily on community-developed game-systems and mods, quality control and ease of use suffer.
Being customizable is great, having to customize it to be able to play not so much ;)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I have been looking into this and found this video describing character creation. It will give you some ideas about what the game is about. The link is here. It definitely looks crunchy. I think the expanding boundaries of gaming is that you can do things with a VTT that are too complicated for tabletop. That's my initial thought, anyway.

Remove ads