• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighters and Tools

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In a sense, Tool proficiencies are new, since Xanathars.

I associate Fighters with tools. Tools include weapons, but also vehicles and gadgets (like chariot, catapult, or lockpicks, or jet plane, car mechanics, or electronics).

There is a feeling that the Fighter class needs to be able to perform more satisfactorily in noncombat situations. Across the editions, the Fighter suffers from too few skills. 5e is slightly better and the background softens some of the harsh edges.

But tool proficiencies, and class features that utilize tools in special ways, matches the Fighter flavor. Tools go a long way to making the Fighter a competent civilian, outside of combat.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I’m oppose to bring down a ballista into a dungeon!
Heh.

Also, some tools allow the Fighter to create and repair equipment.

At higher level, an important reallife trope is the Fighter who forges ones own magic weapon. This can be a special Fighter class feature, or a normal part of a tool proficienicy, or both.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m oppose to bring down a ballista into a dungeon!
0C7A7852-D0D9-4C83-B1DC-74B13B9D572A.jpeg

dave2008

Legend
In a sense, Tool proficiencies are new, since Xanathars.

I associate Fighters with tools. Tools include weapons, but also vehicles and gadgets (like chariot, catapult, or lockpicks, or jet plane, car mechanics, or electronics).

There is a feeling that the Fighter class needs to be able to perform more satisfactorily in noncombat situations. Across the editions, the Fighter suffers from too few skills. 5e is slightly better and the background softens some of the harsh edges.

But tool proficiencies, and class features that utilize tools in special ways, matches the Fighter flavor. Tools go a long way to making the Fighter a competent civilian, outside of combat.
I think this is a great idea. It has been a while since I looked at the 5e classes (I DM), but is this something that is already built into 5e, or are you suggesting that this is an area that could expand the fighter's versatility with a few house-rules?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
are you suggesting that this is an area that could expand the fighter's versatility with a few house-rules?
Immediately, yes.

The Fighter base class is currently defective out-of-combat, and the DM can feel free to experiment with homebrew noncombat Fighter features, with minimal worry about balance. Granting tool proficiencies is an easy start.

But for 50e, the 50th anniversary edition, tools offer a new design space that is especially appropriate for the Fighter class.

Everything from ships to horses, from metal smith to woodcarver, from navigator tools to explosives handling, from gambling games to alcohol brewing, is Fighter stuff.

Tools are a Fighter thing.

dave2008

Legend
Immediately, yes.

The Fighter base class is currently defective out-of-combat, and the DM can feel free to experiment with homebrew noncombat Fighter features, with minimal worry about balance.

But for 50e, the 50th anniversary edition, tools offer a new design space that is especially appropriate for the Fighter class.

Everything from ships to horses, from metal smith to woodcarver, from navigator tools to explosives handling, from gambling games to homebrew alcohol brewing, is Fighter stuff.

Tools are a Fighter thing.
Got it - I completely missed that this was tagged as a 5.5e thread. Any ideas on how you would like to see tools integrated into the fighter class?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Got it - I completely missed that this was tagged as a 5.5e thread. Any ideas on how you would like to see tools integrated into the fighter class?
Something like:

The Wizard gets two skills. The Rogue gets four skills, plus Thieves Tools.

Currently, the Fighter gets two skills and no tools.

The Fighter class can easily have two skills and any two tools, at level 1. Plus, "Tool Expertise" granting double proficiency to one tool, at level 1.

At level 3, an additional tool. And at level 7, an additional Tool Expertise.

At level 11, additionally grant advantage to one Tool Expertise.

At levels 15 and 19, the Fighter needs features that can acquire magical tools (and weapons). This is "martial magic" might relate to the sense of personal presence, intention, and fate. At the moment, I am unsure what the mechanics should be, but it definitely includes the acquisition of a magic item that has noncombat magic, and probably some combat benefit too.

The thing is, tools can − and should − be a full-on Fighter thing.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
At levels 15 and 19, the Fighter needs features that can create magical tools (and weapons) and use tools magically. This is "martial magic", relating to ki, in the sense of personal presence, intention, and fate. At the moment, I am unsure what the mechanics should be, but it definitely includes the creation of a magic item that has noncombat magic, and probably some combat benefit too.

The thing is, tools can − and should − be a full-on Fighter thing.

would Superiority Dice be suitable? It seems that allowing Fighters to make the choice of spreading their dice amongst Maneuvers, Magic Items or Eldritch Spells allows for versatility and is an easy enough patch to implement.
Absolutely agree that Tools should be a Fighter feature, the Master Blacksmith being skilled with a war hammer and the Master Archer making his own arrows are all classic tropes - as is brewing since lots of retired fighters seem to become Innkeepers

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
would Superiority Dice be suitable? It seems that allowing Fighters to make the choice of spreading their dice amongst Maneuvers, Magic Items or Eldritch Spells allows for versatility and is an easy enough patch to implement.
Superiority Dice feels more like an archetype feature.

The tool expert feels true for a base feature as a Fighter class concept for every Fighter character.

Absolutely agree that Tools should be a Fighter feature, the Master Weapon being skilled with a war hammer and the Master Archer making his own arrows are all classic tropes - as is brewing since lots of retired fighters seem to become Innkeepers
Exactly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads