• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Expect "seven or eight" Dungeons & Dragons games in the near future

The future is in the videogame industry.

In my opinion the challenge for the game designers will be to find the balance of power between different playable factions in PvP games where someones have higher magic or tech level, for example musketeers vs warmages vs barbarians. If firearms are allowed, then nodoby want to play lowtech maglless characters as barbarians or swashbucklers.

My suggestion are a RTS set in Cerilia (Birthright), other set in Red Steel/Savage Coast to test firearms when the enemies are gunfighters are the PCs primitive savages, and later a Gamma World where to test the new ideas for a d20 Modern 2.0. (for example adding new abilities scores:acuity (astuteness + perception), courage and spirit ( = karma/luck/fate/guardian angel, resistance against supernatural attacks, but also hope and faith in the future). And a free app to be the AI for sole player board game, something like the "Hero Quest" board game, but now with the name "Endless Quest", for +10 children, easy rules to be learnt.

I imagine the ultimate D&D as an asymetric multiplayer where one is the dungeon master, creating rooms, and adding traps and monsters, something like the comingsoon "Resident Evil: Resistance", with an optional creative mode, like a quest/adventure/missions creators where nPCs with optional dialogues can be added. Even with the option to create machinima movies.

We will see a videogame of Dark Sun, but psionic powers need a lot of playtesting. Ravenloft is perfect for survival horror titles with puzzles and stealth as "the evil within", "silent hill", "resident evil" or "dead space".

Why not a coproduction with Capcom for a beat'em as "Shadow over Mystara"?

Videogames of Dragonlance, for +7 rating, deserve a second chance. I can't be worse than the originals between the last 80's and beginning of 90's.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Smells like Warhammer game development to me. Meaning, license to the brand to anyone who will take it, so that 90% of the games are complete garbage.
WotC has been saying all along that they want to expand the D&D brand beyond just the tabletop game. They’ve been wanting to get back into movies and video games and whatever else since day 1 of 5e. It’s just taking them a really long time ....

Zardnaar

Legend
WotC has been saying all along that they want to expand the D&D brand beyond just the tabletop game. They’ve been wanting to get back into movies and video games and whatever else since day 1 of 5e. It’s just taking them a really long time ....

It's highly doubtful any of those games will be good. When you've put out shovelware fairly reliably.....

D&D games are like TSR novels in the mid 90s. Give us money and slap a label on it.

If you want a good D&D game play an old one.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Smells like Warhammer game development to me. Meaning, license to the brand to anyone who will take it...

Except, of course, how WotC owns Tuque games...

But, if you aren't a software development house, you really need to either buy or license if you want a computer game. You don't just have a pen and paper publisher suddenly capable of software dev.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads