• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exotic Fruit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One for y’all to try: mayhaw jelly

I was given some a few years ago by a friend, and it’s been a pantry staple ever since. It’s kind of sweet/tart, like a good cranberry or citrus jelly, while still being its own thing. I’ve used it on sandwiches, on crackers with cream cheese, and served it as part of a charcuterie.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FWIW, I put a link to this thread in the Cookin’ Agsin thread.

the Jester

Legend
Which breed?

I'm waiting for my Meyer lemons to ripen (probably a week or two away) and I really like where they fall -- in between oranges and lemons, more sweet than sour.
Not Meyers- we have a tree of those, and they have a fair amount of tartness. "Sweet lemons" are a specific citrus cultivar, also called limettas. I believe they are a citron/sour orange cross, while Meyers are a cross between a citron and a mandarin/pomelo hybrid.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Not really exotic, but I learned this holiday season that if you freeze for 24+hours close-but-not-quite ripe Hachiya persimmons and then thaw them for ~24 hours or so, it completes the ripening process and more importantly removes that terrible pithy texture from the flesh

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Got a couple of red dragonfruit for the second time in as any decades. They were…OK.

I might try the yellow if I see them, but I’ve never seen them.

Remove ads