• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Episode II) Yoda makes me squeal with glee.

mmadsen

First Post
i'm not quite sure how you can judge the acting in a two hour movie by 30 second action-spots?

The newer ads aren't simple action spots. Watch for the one with Anakin and Amidala; the acting's quite wooden. And if those are the 30-second spots they want me to judge the movie by, well, my judgement isn't very high -- and I'm left wondering what's really going on, since I keep hearing great things about this movie.

By the way, I disagree that the first trilogy's acting was terrible. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) clearly delivered his lines with great charisma, and Leia wasn't wooden either. Chewie, 3PO, and R2 all "acted" well. All the evil characters certainly seemed authentically evil. I won't comment on Luke.

I also disagree that the older scripts weren't well-written and that the dialog was bad. It was fun, and that's what it was meant to be.

At any rate, the first trilogy wasn't High Art, but it was good pulp space opera. The Phantom Menace, on the other hand, was not a well-constructed story, it introduced some terrible elements, the characterization didn't work, and many of the special effects weren't so special.

Last edited:

Valavien

First Post
I am going to agree with mmadsen, I have been thinking about it lately (funny that) and I think it was only Luke that was wooden. I remember seeing the Ep 4 in a cinema on it's re release and everyone burst out laughing when he whinged about going to pick up power converters. So maybe his acting was good and he was supposed to be like that. It makes sense considering how much he grows up.

Crothian

First Post
I figure even a lousy Star Wars movie is worth a couple hours and 5$ of my money. I know I've seen worse movies on opening day, and I know I'll be seeing worse movies on opening day later this year.

Welverin

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I know when he removed his hand from MINE, I found I had heat vision. I could melt steel and vaporize liquids from 300 feet away for roughly an hour and a half.

Of course, around that time I realized with some horror what had been going on an hour and a half ago.

Bendis sure comes up with some weird stuff.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Me, I've got my ticket (well, 14 of them) for 7:30pm on opening day at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre (Hollywood, California). THE best crowd for an opening day Star Wars movie there is :) And I'll be standing in line all day (for the fun of it) as well!

For those of you bitching about the movie already, well, I would love to hear what you think are good sci-fi movies in the past decade (other than Matrix).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
turtle said:
terminator 2 was pretty good

does lotr count?

twelve monkeys

truman show

T2 - 1991, not the last decade.
12 monkeys - Not a bad movie...
LOTR was really more fantasy than sci- fi, in my opinion. I agree, it was fantastic.

Honestly though, there have been a few decent sci-fi movies in the last decade, but not many. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones may not live up to everyones childhood-built high expectations, but I think if people go in just looking for an entertaining movie, and that's all, then they will get their monies worth. You are not going to see academy-award winning acting out of Natalie Portman or Hayden Christensen, nor will this be a best-adapted screenplay nomination. It will have cool special effects and action, however.

Tom Cashel

First Post
mmadsen said:

By the way, I disagree that the first trilogy's acting was terrible. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) clearly delivered his lines with great charisma, and Leia wasn't wooden either. Chewie, 3PO, and R2 all "acted" well. All the evil characters certainly seemed authentically evil. I won't comment on Luke.

I also disagree that the older scripts weren't well-written and that the dialog was bad. It was fun, and that's what it was meant to be.

Then I suggest you watch Return of the Jedi again, and really try to be impartial. Because I think the sacred cow of your youth is getting in the way of clear vision. The scene where Luke tells Leia that she's his sister and he has to face Vader? Oh my Eris...it's full of "must" and "mustn't" and when Leia sobs "Hold me" to Han you just have to take a deep breath and say "It's only Star Wars..." Really terrible in the greater scheme of things.

But do I think Star Wars is terrible? Hell, no! I think they're great fun. But once again, if you are expecting anything more than "more Star Wars," you are expecting too much.

Take a deep breath and keep telling yourself, "It's only Star Wars..." ;)

EDIT: As for "authentic evil," even The Phantom Menace has its moments. "This is Darth Maul. He will find your missing ship." Ian MacDiarmid's voice gets so low and menacing....spooky.

Last edited:

trimeulose

First Post
Ok here's my price breakup of the ticket and what I am expecting in return for it.

price of movie: - $7.00

yoda showing his jedi pimp (just above jedi master for you SW people) skills: +$1.50

Anakin Lightsaber duel: +$2.25

The original storm troopers: +$.25

Mace Windu: +$1.00

jedi kicking butt in war: $2.50

Jango Fett: $2.00

Anakin/Amidala love story: +$.50 or -$2.00

cheesy acting and scripting: -$1.00

special effects: +$2.00 or -$.50

Natalie portman in a tight white outfit.... that gets ripped: priceless

So I figure I make about $1.50 profit worth of StarWars experience. That's in addition to the tear-jerker scenes (a.k.a. Natalie Portman in revealing attire).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads