• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Episode II) Yoda makes me squeal with glee.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Black Omega said:
It's an interesting theory with quite a few long long stretches. and bits it ignores.

Darth's comment when he met Obi-wan on the Death Star:

"When I left you, I was but the student; now I am the master."

I can't imagine Obiwan saying this to the punk kid he taught.

You, uh... you missed the part where the guy does mention that.

It's a pretty fun theory to think about, if one I pray doesn't come true. I do look forward to this supposed twist in the upcoming SW movies I keep reading rumors about...

trimeulose

First Post
about arguments.....

You know whats odd?? most people who love the movie say that SW is for kids (primarily ages 4-9). Most arguments also use the idea that since it is for that target group the humor must be down-played to simpler slapstick and stock joke one-liners. They also say SW is just a movie. Well put that argument aside because I have two points to concede.....

1) I know an 8 year old that has seen all the movies, knows them front to back, and has some of the original aNH action figures (his only birthday wish so everyone pitched in). We often talk about our favorite scenes in the first trilogy. We often disagree about which ones are the best, but we both agree that they are all very good. When we talk about Ep1, however, he complains to me.

I don't encourage it because I recognize that it has its moments. His main argument isn't against Jar Jar, but Anakin. He complains that Anakin seems so rigid, so coached. I often talk about how I loved the fight scenes, he retorts with "Its too bad they killed the wrong Darth in that movie.... Anakin still sucks." I said, "But if they killed him in this movie he wouldn't be around for the last three." His repy, "it would be worth it." The boy loves SW and to hear him say that is insulting to not only to it, but to George, Mark, Harrison, Carrie...the production crew, the minor characters, heck the whole entourage of SW.

When I asked what he thought of jar jar, his answer, "He seemed to be alright at first, but it got old quick. His character had no real point to add to the movie, and I wish they would have done something more with it."

2) Like I said, I enjoyed parts of the movie. It was an inviting day when I saw it for the first time. But lets face it, it was not GLs best work of any stretch. I saw aNH when I was 11 (1994). I saw the next two in the series two years later. aNH was so good I didn't think that it could possibly have a sequel. To this Day, ESB is my all time favorite Sci/Fi movie. Don't tell me I'm trying to reclaim my glory years of child-hood. I'm living my glory days. Middle School, now those were some crappy days, SW was so good it made it worth it.

tPM is worth watching, but it will never truly be SW in my opinion. It will never inspire so many people that it will legally be called a religion in major countries around the world. It will never live throughout the ages as a great film. It will never be able to claim that the movie was done for artist purposes rather than money. tPM was no more of a movie than Pokemon, and both were just a marketing ploy to exploit kids for thier money.

I'm almost crying over here (seriously).

Don't ever tell me that this is just a movie, its not. I have evidence.

That said, I am about to die of anticipation for AotC.

Droogie

Explorer
Trimeulose,

Love it or hate it, TPM is Star Wars. It is Episode 1 of a 6 part series. There is nothing that can change that. In any series, whether its books, TV, or movies, there's always going to be the good episodes and the not-so-good episodes. Everyone has their favorite Bond film, and their least favorite; all Star Trek fans have arranged all the Trek movies in a hierarchy from best to worst. One week the X-files episode is great, the next week, it will suck.

When the Star Wars films are complete, and the DVD's are sitting on everyone's shelf, everyone will look at their collection and probably agree that Ep 1 was the crappiest episode in this 6-part fairy tale. But even with the good and the bad, the series as a whole will be more than the sum of its parts.

Just hope that the worst episode will be #1. Could you imagine if the worst episode was #6?

Ok, fine. The script was the worst of all the SW films so far. And the acting. And Lucas has certainly proven that directing ain't like riding a bike. But after seeing episodes 1-3, the final duel at the end of episode 6 will be the big payoff, even bigger than before.

I'm disappointed that Ep 1 wasn't up to snuff with the others. But I don't hate the film. Nor has it soured me on Star Wars.

WanderingMonster

First Post
Crackpot theories

While were on the subject of Crackpot Theories, here's mine:

I have a strong suspicion that Anakin Skywalker gets cloned. Why?

Midichlorians. Lucas said somehing to the effect that he had always planned for the Force to have biological origins (or something like that). Something that could be passed from father to son. Why is that key? It's obvious: a clone would have an equally high midichlorian count and thus be just as strong in the Force. If you have problems turning Anakin to the dark side, you might be better off cloning him and training the clone yourself.

That's my theory, and really that's as far as I took it. Just musing on things one day after I saw Ep I. Now with the advent of crackpot theory A claiming that Kenobi=Vader and Ben=Anakin, I can tie that to crackpot theory B (my theory) and create crackpot theory C which is: Ben and Vader are clones. My only support for this is the "ghost" theory.

Why do Ben, Vader/Anakin, and Yoda only ever appear in ghost form? Midichlorians. Yoda was said to have had the highest midichlorian count until Anakin came along. Perhaps high enough that he could essentially become one with the Force upon death (a conscious imprint on the Force, that is). So if we assume that Obi-Wan doesn't have the midichlorian cajones to become one with the Force upon death, it must be that Ben does--and only if he's a clone of someone else...

Chew on that. But becareful. My house of cards is fragile.

trimeulose

First Post
Droogie said:
Trimeulose,

Love it or hate it.

Therein lies the problem, it made me do neither. That's why this movie isn't SW. Yes, it has the name, the story line, character names, marketing, ect. but hopefully you can get at what I'm saying when I say the movie just isn't SW.

Like I said, I enjoyed the storyline and fight scenes. At least those involving Palpatine, Maul, Yoda, and of course that hottie Natalie Portman (Padme Amidala for you people who can't remember her SW character). The problem is that SW:aNH was so much to live up to, and George proved that he could live up to the name twice!!!

Then he goes and makes a simple movie with slapstick comedy, way too much CGI, poor casting on about 1/4 the characters, overt marketing, and kills the mysticism of the Force to boot.

Another fine example of someone not living up to their potential. It could have been sooooooooo much better.

Staffan

Legend
Steven McRownt said:
even Roger or Jessica Rabbit seemed wooden in that old movie!
I hope you excuse me for trying to channel Hong here for a moment:

There's only one thing that gets wooden around Jessica Rabbit, IYKWIM, AITYD.

(Sorry)

trimeulose said:

Another fine example of someone not living up to their potential. It could have been sooooooooo much better.

This statement just hits me as wrong. He (GL) made a movie on a crap budget. Results = enormous box office, multiple Oscar noms, his own (mega gigantic) production company, a complete revolution in special effects and the birth of a worldwide phenomenon. He then goes on to create 2 more films in the series, both of which were enormously successful and widely acclaimed.

Then, he helps create ANOTHER enormously successful series (Indiana Jones) and his production company branches out, spawning THE special effects company (ILM), THE standard in sound (Skywalker Sound), and a huge and influencial video game company (LucasArts).

Finally, 20 years later, he puts out another movie in the Star Wars series. It does huge box office, but fails to live up to many people's expectations.

How does that failure, compared to the monumental successes in his life, equate to a man not living up to his potential?

Patrick Y.

mmadsen

First Post
How does that failure, compared to the monumental successes in his life, equate to a man not living up to his potential?

The point isn't that he didn't do anything with his life; it's that he could've made a much better Phantom Menace. I can't imagine considering him a failure who didn't live up to his potential -- but I can certainly say Phantom Menace fell short.

Victim

First Post
Interesting theories.

However, Obi won did seem very reckless in ep1. He always seemed to be doing fancy flourish with his light saber because he liked doing dangerous things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads