• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dual wielder feat got worse?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not disputing that. I would say that the majority of two-blade styles, across multiple cultures, involve different sized blades.
That has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not the game should have a vehicle by which a swordmasters can effectively fight case. Needing a feat makes sense. Not being able to ever, even with significant investment, does not.

the feat should add, that you can make 2nd offhand attack if you have Extra attack feature.

There should be a feat that does that.
But I think a feat that does that should not be a 4th level feat, as at 4th level you do not have access to the extra attack feature.
A feat should always be something you can immediately use at the level where you can get it.

When selecting a feat you should not have to look trough all the features your class gets later on to judge if it is any good getting it

Horwath

Legend
There should be a feat that does that.
But I think a feat that does that should not be a 4th level feat, as at 4th level you do not have access to the extra attack feature.
A feat should always be something you can immediately use at the level where you can get it.

When selecting a feat you should not have to look trough all the features your class gets later on to judge if it is any good getting it
Why not?

Many feats add some mechanics based on your proficiency bonus.

Should you not take that feat, just because you can use the feat 2 times when you get it, as oppose to 4 times at 9th level.

The extra attack of Dual wielder are locked behind extra attack feature same as extra usages of some feats are locked behind proficiency bonus.

The more I think abotu removing the +1 AC, the more I like it. Oh, the feat is underpowered and needs more, but give it something focused on dual wielding. Keep the AC bonus for weapon and shield users since 1D&D TWF and 2H can both consistantly do more damage than them.

I particularily liked the old dual wielder feat including +1 AC, because it allowed str based dual wielder to pull ahead earlier. A dex based dual wielder usually did not really gain something out of that feat, because (fighting style assumed), +2 dex also gave you +1 AC, +1 average damage on hit.

Since now it is enabling rapier + parrying dagger, maybe adding defensive duellist would not be overpowered but stylish.

Also lets see what will be in the new weappn table. They spoilered something in the video.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads