• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dual wielder feat got worse?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
the feat should add, that you can make 2nd offhand attack if you have Extra attack feature.
Mathematically I wouldn't want this Back in AD&D 2nd my DM remartked "dice don't kill people, bonuses kill people".

Extra attack allowing two attacks, and therefore adding you ability score and magic (and rage and ...) bonus twice. Light weapons allowing you to add it four times would blow all of the others out of the water. Especially as they have removed the big damage bonuses for two handed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The more I think abotu removing the +1 AC, the more I like it. Oh, the feat is underpowered and needs more, but give it something focused on dual wielding. Keep the AC bonus for weapon and shield users since 1D&D TWF and 2H can both consistantly do more damage than them.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wielding only one non-light weapon is sensible -- two rapiers never made sense, and the effective difference is ~1 hp damage per round.
Fighting case (with two full sized blades) is literally a real thing in real history. It’s just harder to learn and master.
(The other one I feel strongly about is spell sniper not giving an attack spell any more; I'd happily lose the ASI to get that back.)
Agreed.

Okay, you're right and I was wrong. Thanks for pointing those out.
I don't think you were wrong in the principle of what you said. I think that WotC chose those two as two good but not OP feats that were about where they wanted the strength to be and buffed everything worse while nerfing everything better (and tweaking a couple like Spell Sniper)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’m more worried about Defensive Duelist still being terrible.

If it’s gonna be a bonus to AC against one attack, just make it deflect arrows for melee attacks. Gate the riposte PB/LR, good to go.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Fighting case (with two full sized blades) is literally a real thing in real history. It’s just harder to learn and master.
I'm not disputing that. I would say that the majority of two-blade styles, across multiple cultures, involve different sized blades.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads