• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconians Ral Partha miniatures - need help

ilgatto

How inconvenient
So there's pics of the minis in Ral Partha catalogs from 1990 to at least 1995 (and not in the 1989 one - typical) but no info on which is which.

rp93-pic.jpg

rp95-pic.jpg

Box back:

boxback.jpg

Ok, looking closely at the back cover depictions, color schemes and scaling, and comparing them to the old Monster Manual descriptions, particularly height and scale coloration, I feel pretty confident in this. From left to right:

Sivak, Sivak (same height and coloration of the first guy), Kapak, Kapak, Kapak, Aurak (robed), Bozak (bronze scales, taller than the ones to his right), Baaz, Baaz, Baaz.

That looks to be it.

One thing that bugs me is the ram's horns on the "kapaks". These aren't in any 1E pics I could find (other than perhaps on @Andvari's box top pic upthread if that's a kapak).

Also, ignoring the order we assume, could #9 on the box back still be a bozak? Can't really see its mug on any of the pics, although comparing its armor to the bozak next to the aurak rather seems to suggests it isn't one?

EDIT: Deleted faulty assumption.

I'm just puzzled about the Kapak wielding a mace, don't they envenom their weapons by licking them ? How good is licking a mace ? The description in the books also mentions that dragonarmies tend to use Kapaks as assassins and archers so I thought the one with the bow was also a Kapak only to see it also has a mace...

Ok, looking back at the actual miniatures from the box I can confirm that :
  1. The first two are indeed the same size and they have the same facial features; they have to be Sivaks both (Draconian, Sivak (Monstrous Manual))
  2. The next three do have the same facial features with the ram horns. Probably Kapaks as some artwork do seem to show they have horns versus Baaz ? It is also mentioned in their 2E description that they do like to use maces too and they can lick their weapons without confirming it needs to be a slashing/piercing weapon. (Draconian, Kapak (Monstrous Manual))
  3. The 6th one is definitely an Aurak; no wings + wizard robes (Draconian, Aurak (Monstrous Manual))
  4. The 7th and 9th miniature actually have the same facial features. They are probably both Bozaks it seems (even though their 2E description seem to indicate they prefer using small weapons they can easily carry in their mouths so the polearm seems a bit weird to me) (Draconian, Bozak (Monstrous Manual))
  5. The 8th and 10th ones have the same facial features and share the same small stature; highly probable they are Baaz. (Draconian, Baaz (Monstrous Manual))
I just find it weird that they put 3 Kapaks versus 2 Baaz since Baaz are way more common troups especially if you want miniatures to actually play those encounters.

Agggh, now I'm starting to doubt myself again. After a lot of searches, it seems that the only draconians that seem to associate ram horns with them are the Bozak ???
Does this actually mean that Draconians #3 to #6 are actually Bozak and then #7 and #9 are Kapaks ?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Agggh, now I'm starting to doubt myself again. After a lot of searches, it seems that the only draconians that seem to associate ram horns with them are the Bozak ???
(...)
Now I'm curious as to where that notion comes from.

Also, there's this to consider. The 1E metallic dragons are gold, silver, bronze, copper, brass (in order of descending Hit Dice). Of these, the only one with a picture in MM1 featuring something resembling the "ram's horns" on our "kapak" is the copper dragon.

1E-copperdragon.jpg

Andvari

Hero
Got a few more opinions elsewhere on the image. They believe the one in front is a Kapak and the one in the background on the right is a Bozak.

boxback.jpg

Ok so after spending a ton of time trying to get to the bottom of this, I came to the conclusion that :
  1. Miniatures with the same facial features are of the same draconian family
  2. I have found 0 solid evidence that ram horns are truly tied to a family of draconians
  3. I'm definitely overthinking this and should stick with the original color of the draconians at the back of the box
So based on this :
  1. Draconians #1 and #2 are definitely Sivak. They are silver and very tall which matches their description
  2. Draconian #6 is an Aurak. He looks gold and has no wings.
  3. Draconians #3 to #5 are from the same family (same facial features/height)
  4. Draconians #7 and #9 are from the same family (same facial features/height)
  5. Draconians #8 and #10 are from the same family (same facial features/height)
  6. Baaz come from Brass, Bozak from Bronze and Kapak from Copper dragon eggs.
  7. Brass is brighter than Bronze as per image below.
  8. Draconians #7 to #9 are brighter and therefore all Baaz.
  9. Draconians #7 and #9 are duller and slightly and therefore all Bozak.
  10. Draconians #8 and #10 are the darkest ones so clearly more copper and therefore all Kapak. They are also hunched similar to the monster manual art and makes them look sneaky.

Albie+Knows+Brass+vs+Bronze+vs+Gold

I just also makes more sense that the kit should contain more Baaz than all other draconian types since they are the most numerous of them all.

Last edited:

Remove ads