• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
From what I've seen so far in the UA playtests, 5.5e is SOOOO much better than 5e. It's basically the same for the majority of things, nerfs some of the most egregiously overpowered things, and buffs some of the worst unused things.

My enthusiasm for 5.5e is based on presuming they continue making more improvements similarly to what they have shown so far, but at this rate it's looking really promising to switch on day 1
What specific things do you think make it soo much better?

The Soloist

Adventurer
Haven’t read it yet, with the near daily updates I was waiting for it to stabilize first. Sounds like v1.4 today might be that one, looking forward to diving into it a bit.

I only glanced at SotDL so far (got a recent bundle of it), and I like the general design / mechanics. Thematically I am more interested in the WW however
I ran a battle with 4 PCs against 3 animated dead not long ago. It runs very well even with unmodified SotDL creature stats.

I also prefer the vibe of WW over SoTDL.

I'm already running a Drakkenheim campaign with all of the new rules in. We keep forgetting some changes (and the Human keeps forgetting their inspiration), and the players really are not trying to make use of weapon masteries, but we'll see if that improves.

Because It is admittedly more fiddly, trying to remember those things. As if it was all just a patchwork of jury-rigs.

No, there are a lot of things in the playetest stuff that I didn't like, no matter how much it was seemingly tweaked. I only like two things from it, three if you count the brawler they took out. I liked that they gave Warlock some spell levels, as Warlock felt like a complete jumbled mess, and the weapon mastery properties that melee fighters now get. I joined up for the playtest near the beginning...roughly around their 3rd playtest, and I peeked at the others, and there wasn't much in there that I liked. So no, I'm not going to be using, because a lot of the changes are not good at all and the ones that are could have gone into a thinner book and been done with it.

I’m also curious about the other side, what new 5.5e things do you most dislike?

#1: What it did to the OGL.

#2: The massive amount of unnecessary gibberish about what we're supposed to call the darn thing.

Which is to say, my biggest complaints are about marketing, not rules.

Ah, heck with it, let's go for the trinity of triggering talking points. I also don't like floating ASIs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads