• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Hussar

Legend
If 2/3 of the community is adopting 5.5e right out of the gate, as @Hussar suggests, my question is: why?

Is 5.5e really going to be that much better than 5e? (if yes, that explains the high uptake right there; look no further)

Or is it just a must-have-the-new-shiny mentality?

Or is it a desire to only play the "officially supported" version of the game? (legitimate for those who play AL, I suppose)

Or, why?
Depends on what you mean by "that much better". I mean, it's been 10 years. They are improving the game. And it would be nice to get a lot of the changes, like Tasha's and Xanathar's back under one roof, so to speak. Right now, I just watched three players create three PC's all using different methods. Getting everything sort of organized again will be nice. Plus, after 10 years, I'm perfectly willing to shell out for another set of books. A better DMG for one considering the 2014 DMG isn't great. Hell, a better INDEX would be worth the price of admission. :p

I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but, by and large, "it's about that time" is the one that speaks most to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I keep running, I'll stick to core, Xanathar, the basic classes from Tasha's, A touch of class, and whatever I can find 3pp that suits me. I have some homebrew stuff of my own that I never made an effort to make publishable. (Plus I still have the Greyhawk Gazetteer, many classic modules, and classic Planescape for inspiration) I wouldn't need to buy anything new from WotC.
Sure, but even if yoy didn't buy any more game material from WotC, they win by you playing, because first, you wouldn't play alone and you would push network externalities, and second, that still builds their brand long term.
But, well, I don't hold a grudge towards WotC. I don't care about one-upping an unfeeling, uncaring corporation that won't have the same people in five years on an imaginary game of tug-of-war. I'm just not in love with the new not-edition (though I wouldn't say I don't feel stung by some of their declarations form last year that soured some changes more than they would have. Declarations that they haven't been seen to walk back nor seem to walk bak anytime soon)
I hate to be obtuse, but I really don't know what you mean about these declarations...?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Sure, but even if yoy didn't buy any more game material from WotC, they win by you playing, because first, you wouldn't play alone and you would push network externalities, and second, that still builds their brand long term.

I hate to be obtuse, but I really don't know what you mean about these declarations...?
Why care about "WotC winning"?

Zardnaar

Legend
I won't be throwing around to many absolutes until I get to look at the books.

Main negative its just more of the sane. 10 years of 5E. Even if 5.5 is better do I want to do another 10 years of tweaks? Probably not. Few years maybe. Shorter cycle hopefully.

I'm 50 in 5 years.30 years of DMing in about a year.

One of my players I met when he was 16 or 16 playing magic. That was 20 years ago this year.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'll probably end up buying the PHB just to see if I like it. If I do, I'll buy the DMG & MM, too. I'll give the revision a shot because I do like some of the things they added to the game.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I see a lot of people switching to the new books for no other reason than "new edition smell". Our society has ingrained in us this strange idea that old things are somehow "bad". Hollywood won't let us simply enjoy classic movies on their own merits, there's always a reboot around the corner that's "new and improved" (but almost always, for everything improved, there's a lot of perfectly fine things changed for no real reason).

Sure there are outliers who stick with whatever edition they are fondest of- I have friends who reject various editions of D&D for their own reasons. But when people say "I want to get into this D&D thing", they're going to buy the books that are being sold. They're going to assume "newest version = best version". You can't fight against the tide.

If you are never going to engage with newer players of the game, then this isn't a problem for you. You have your books and your 17 pages of house rules- Pinkertons aren't going to show up at your house to rip that away from you (we hope)!

However, if you are going to have to engage with newer players, you're kind of in a bind. If they're all playing D&D 5.2024-2025 Pro Edition, and you're not, if you want to play, you have to convert. If you say "I DM a D&D game" and then you reveal "but actually it's D&D 5.2014", you may have to field questions like "why don't you play the new D&D?" and hope you can explain in a logical, concise manner rather than launch into a Grognard tirade that scares them away!

Just like with the 3e/3.5 switchover, WotC will get a lot of people to switch simply by promising a lot of patches. And of course, they'll patch some things but not all the things. And they might create new problems as well. We've already seen in the past 10 years that the design philosophy has changed since 2014, due to new hires, old guard leaving, corporate mandates, and people just changing their minds over time. This will only continue!

If you hated Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, you're probably going to despise D&D 5e 50th (or maybe 51st) anniversary deluxe edition.

I mean, just for myself, I liked 3.5 a lot. Did it have warts? What version of D&D doesn't? When 4e was announced, I assumed it would be a continuation of the design seen in the last few years of 3.5, with Book of Nine Swords, Warlocks, Binders, Totemists and the like being the inspiration. When I saw an actual PHB, I said "yeah, no, this isn't for me.".

Two years later, I was jonesing for a game, and a friend brought me to D&D Encounters. And I was quickly hooked.

So then I liked 4e a lot. Did it have warts? What version of D&D doesn't? WotC made my group dependent on the online content, however, and when that faded from existence, we found we couldn't play the game the same way any longer just using the books we owned. I was forced to switch to other games, and I tried 13th Age and Pathfinder, and even got back into Vampire 20th. I engaged in the Next playtest in good faith, but when the final product came out, it really didn't resemble anything I thought was neat in the playtest.

So I said, nope, not going to do it. But a few years later, once again, I was jonesing for a game and got dragged to the local game store for Adventurer's League. This time I didn't fall in love with 5e, but I acknowledged that I could have fun playing it with the right group and DM.

I don't intend to play Neo 5e Hypercool Kids Edition. But I know that, at some point, I may end up interacting with it in the future. It's inevitable. Even my diehard "AD&D or nothin'!" friend eventually had to sit down at a 5e table, because the amount of people willing to play his edition of choice had dried up.

Because in the end, I love Dungeons & Dragons. It's my favorite game. I may not like the current version, or the company that's in charge of it, but with the right group and the right DM, a lot of sins can be overlooked.

GrimCo

Adventurer
I won't be throwing around to many absolutes until I get to look at the books.

Main negative its just more of the sane. 10 years of 5E. Even if 5.5 is better do I want to do another 10 years of tweaks? Probably not. Few years maybe. Shorter cycle hopefully.

There is a good saying in Italy. Stucco e pittura fan bella figura ( you can slap some mortar to fix minor holes and some paint to look new and fresh, but underneath it's still same old house with all structural problems). In the context of D&D, stucco or mortar is minor mechanical tweaks and updates, pittura is new book design, layouts, artwork. But underneath it's still 10 year old game chassis. There is a limit how much you can tweak without needing to overhaul entire system ( and then it becomes new edition) and without breaking more or less plug and play compatibility with 5ed adventure books and supplements.

Same thing happened with 3.5. You could more or less use all the 3.0 splat books with minor tweaking and sometimes without any tweaking at all.

There is a limit how much you can add, remove, tweak around and generally improve in increments (when we talk about mechanics). But sooner or later, you reach the limit where you can't do much more and you ether do new edition or you do overhaul so drastic that it just may be new edition in all but name.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads