• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMG Variant: Spell Roll

Delta

First Post
Did anyone ever use the DMG "Variant: Spell Roll" in 3E? (Roll for each spell DC instead of a static number.) If so, what was the result -- did you like it, not like it?

Traken

First Post
I'm planning on using this the next game I get started up. I like the idea, but it'll be up to the whether the player's like it.

Maleketh

First Post
I remember this being how 3.0 psionics worked. My group abandoned it pretty quickly in favor of the static 10 + modifiers - it slows the game down unnecessarily, at least in our experience.

I have considered it, but the 'unfun' of 'wasting' a resource and having a bad roll for the DC kept me away. Making it an opposed roll {caster check roll vs opponents save roll} increases randomness.

Using the 4E-ish save mechanic would make this variant much more acceptable {caster check roll vs opponents static defence}. It also makes more sense as a high reflex character won't fail against a spell that a low reflex character saves at.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads