• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMG: hard rules or just DM advice?

Li Shenron

Legend
As per the title, as a DM what is your approach to DMG material (obviously excluding that which is marked explicitly as a variant rule), do you strictly abide to it or do you use it only as advice on running the game?

To anticipate fluid answers by many, saying "I strictly abide to something but ignore other parts" practically means to treating it as advice, which sometimes you comply with. Although you can say if you feel like you're not ignoring but rather acknowledging it as hard rules, then purposefully change with a house rule you inform your players about.

I am asking this because while the PHB is largely used by the players, and any DM's variation or house rule on something in the PHB is normally communicated to the group, I don't think the players normally read the DMG (and a few threads this year also indicated that besides magic items, planar stuff and a few more things, even many DMs don't read or regularly use the DMG) so if a DM ignores something in the DMG it may not even be necessary to inform the group.

I recently realized this has been my case all along. Even though I did read the whole DMG, I rarely use it anymore besides magic items (which I often modify to make unique versions but that's another matter). Because of this, among other things I've basically settled to using passive perception only for noticing threats i.e. monsters hiding making a Stealth check, but nothing else, because that's the only usage of passive perception mentioned in the PHB or Basic rules. Instead, the DMG also extensively talks about using it to notice anything, but since this means using a passive score vs static DCs, it has the potential to remove randomness completely. I never use passive scores against fixed DCs so I am effectively treating this DMG section as advice only.

I tend to stick very strictly to the rules as written, because it is important to my players that I remain consistent in my application of the rules. But they remain guidelines and not a mandate to how you must run your sessions. If I disagree with a rule, I'll clarify my objections to my players, and we decide as a group to houserule it (but I still try to be consistent). This most often applies to the way certain spells can be used. I hold the rule of cool in higher regard than the rules in the DMG. But game balance is also important to me. I do not want to give any particular player or class an unfair advantage that the others would not get.

Of course since I play 3rd edition, the rules in the DMG are a lot more detailed and clear than they might be in 5th, since 5th edition leans more towards less rules. But this can sometimes come at the cost of a lack of clarity when it comes to edge cases.

R_J_K75

Legend
I reference it from time to time when writing adventures but I dont think Ive read it cover to ever. Honestly I dont think ever read any DMG cover to cover. My players dont care whether Im consistent in rulings from game to game so I make stuff up as we go. So I use it more as a guidelines except for magical items. After 5+ editions of D&D in its various forms the mechanics maybe slighty different theres usually nothing new in it anymore, just the same info with a new coat of paint.

Most things in the DMG 5e are optional anyway.
I often use those rules slightly modified to my taste. I guess they are not as playtested as PHB rules and more siggestions than anything else. Some are legacy options but a bit unbalanced. But they are neat and help shaping my game.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
They're "more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."

Besides, the books are too incomplete to be considered anything else IMO. ;)

Regarding Passive Perception: we use it differently and I'll give you an example: If your passive perception is 15, and a goblin rolls a 17 for Hide for an ambush, you have no chance of noticing him unless you tell the DM you are using your action to look for danger (that is, you are actively searching and suspect danger). Now, if that goblin's Hide was only 14, since your passive perception is better you do NOT automatically notice him. Instead, the DM will call for a perception check. The idea is your PC might be aware of something you, as a player, have no way of knowing.

Honestly, this works great for our groups and I recommend it to anyone who is unhappy with passive scores.

Pawndream

Explorer
Considering the fact I rarely, if ever, even look in the DMG for anything rules related, I would say it has been little more than a book full of advice.

I might crack the DMG open once every couple of months, and then it's usually just for inspiration. I think the fact it is named a Dungeon Master "Guide" and not "Rules" is pretty telling.

jgsugden

Legend
I use all of the rules as written unless I don't. If I don't, I try to let players know in advance that I won't be using them. However, there is a lot in the DMG that is just guidance on how a DM can interpret the world - it is not specific guidance on how to interpret the world.

Remove ads