• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dispel Magic vs. multiple summoning

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Which brings me back to my Spiritual Weapon question.
I must have failed my "follow-along" check, because I don't understand why you're asking about spiritual weapon. What does casting a targeted dispel magic on SW have to do with casting an area dispel on SM? Can you explain this for me, please? I was hoping that I could understand it better if dcollins responded, but I guess he gave up.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
I must have failed my "follow-along" check, because I don't understand why you're asking about spiritual weapon. What does casting a targeted dispel magic on SW have to do with casting an area dispel on SM? Can you explain this for me, please? I was hoping that I could understand it better if dcollins responded, but I guess he gave up.

It's okay - he's said you can target Wall of Fire with Dispel Magic, which works for my purposes too.

dcollins said:
You can see a wall of fire, so you can target it with dispel magic.

Okay. Let's look at that 'primary definition' again.

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell.

Wall of Fire is not cast on a creature or object.

Wall of Fire is not a magic item.

With a targeted dispel, we don't define an area; 'spells within an area' is not applicable.

We're not counterspelling.

There's nothing in the 'primary definition' that allows for a targeted dispel cast on a Wall of Fire.

Which part of the spell text are you reading that allows you to do it, dcollins?

-Hyp.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
dcollins said:
Many would agree, but I disagree with that. Feel free to search for the previous thread where this was discussed.

That's the second time you've brought up the previous thread. I'd love to read it. What is the subject, or at least what page is it on?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ki Ryn said:
That's the second time you've brought up the previous thread. I'd love to read it. What is the subject, or at least what page is it on?

Here is the one he means, I suspect.

"Pulling a Hypersmurf"? Heh.

-Hyp.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
With a targeted dispel, we don't define an area; 'spells within an area' is not applicable.
I don't see anything there that requires the targeted dispel to "define an area." The spell being targeted for dispelling is a "spell within an area," so it's a valid target.

nevin

Hero
A barbed devil summons 5 bearded devils using its "Summon Devil (sp)" ability.

A character casts Dispel Magic, targetted on the summoning spell.

Does it work?
If so, do all of the summoned devils go away?

from the SRD:
yes by that statement you dispell one of the summoned creatures and if it works the entire spell is countered.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Woah...17 years! This is some serious thread-necromancy!

Welcome to the forums, @pacino95. In 5th Edition rules, it's largely left up to the DM to interpret the small details like that. Personally, I'd make you target the spellcaster who is concentrating on the spell. But there's nothing wrong with targeting the focus, or the creature that was sommoned.

Remove ads