• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dispel Magic vs. multiple summoning

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
A barbed devil summons 5 bearded devils using its "Summon Devil (sp)" ability.

A character casts Dispel Magic, targetted on the summoning spell.

Does it work?
If so, do all of the summoned devils go away?

from the SRD:
You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell. A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired. Some spells, as detailed in their descriptions, can’t be defeated by dispel magic. Dispel magic can dispel (but not counter) spell-like effects just as it does spells.
If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning) is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured that object or creature (returning it whence it came) in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object.

Cabral

First Post
Not sure ... I think it can be used to counter the spell-like ability as it's being cast ... as for casting it on an area to dispel it after the fact ... I think so, but only the summoned devils who are in the area.

dcollins

Explorer
My reading is that there's a "spell effect" on each summoned monster. You can do an area dispel, and anyone in the area that it succeeds on disappears. You can't target the spell because it's not visible (by spell "targeting" rules). Even if you could, it would only remove the one summoned monster that you were targeting.

Big thread on this last month, lots of debate on this subject, even though the intent seems clear to me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Let's skip the 'targeting the spell' and 'including the point of origin' arguments for the moment, 'cos they get messy.

I cast Summon Monster III, summoning 4 celestial badgers. They go off in four different directions.

You cast Dispel Magic as an area dispel, with one badger in the area.

If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning) is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured that object or creature (returning it whence it came) in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object.

The badger is a monster summoned by monster summoning, and is a creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell. It is in the area. If your dispel check succeeds, you 'end the spell that conjured that object or creature'.

The spell that conjured the creature is Summon Monster III. Summon Monster III ends. When Summon Monster III ends, all four badgers disappear. They can't remain once the spell is ended.

-Hyp.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The spell that conjured the creature is Summon Monster III. Summon Monster III ends. When Summon Monster III ends, all four badgers disappear.
I'm not sure if Hyp is being serious or just trying to illustrate one of the absurdities that can result from interpreting the rules too literally, but...the way I would handle it is that any badgers in the area of the dispel magic spell are subject to being dispelled on a successful dispel check. Those that aren't in the area, aren't.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Peter Gibbons said:
I'm not sure if Hyp is being serious...

It says that the spell ends, right?

Contrast that with the effect of an area dispel on an area spell - only the effect of the spell in the overlapping area is ended. The spell itself does not end.

How can any badgers remain once Summon Monster III ends?

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
You cast Dispel Magic as an area dispel, with one badger in the area... The spell that conjured the creature is Summon Monster III. Summon Monster III ends. When Summon Monster III ends, all four badgers disappear.

Standard rebuttal:

You can use dispel magic... to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area...

When the text says "dispel one spell", it is shorthand for "end ongoing spells (or at least their effects)", per the first line in the description. The distinction is necessary specifically in the case of area dispels: a successful area dispel only dispels the "spell effect" on the individual in question within the area.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
When the text says "dispel one spell", it is shorthand for "end ongoing spells (or at least their effects)", per the first line in the description. The distinction is necessary specifically in the case of area dispels: a successful area dispel only dispels the "spell effect" on the individual in question within the area.

You can end spells (A), or at least their effects (B).

In the case of a spell where an object or creature that is an ongoing effect of the spell is in the area of the dispel, you end the spell (A).

In the case of an area spell that overlaps the dispel, you end the effects (B) of the spell in the overlap.

The 'or' is satisfied.

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
You can end spells within an area (A), or at least their effects within an area (B).

For our summon monster example, it can't be (A), because the entire spell is not within the area.

Therefore it must be (B), you end the effects within the area. In the case of summon monster, that's "Effect: One summoned creature".

KarinsDad

Adventurer
dcollins said:
You can end spells within an area (A), or at least their effects within an area (B).

For our summon monster example, it can't be (A), because the entire spell is not within the area.

Therefore it must be (B), you end the effects within the area. In the case of summon monster, that's "Effect: One summoned creature".

Agreed.

This is similar to an Antimagic Field. If you put up an AMF next to one of the summoned monsters, that monster is suppressed. The monsters outside the area are not.

Remove ads