• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Discipline Points or Focus Points?

Which do you prefer

• Discipline Points

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Focus Points

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Other

Votes: 19 40.4%

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I could think of a lot of better words to use than "Discipline Points". Spirit Points, Soul Points, Vitality Points, Resolve Points, Energy Points, Vim Points, Unity Points, Might Points, Drive Points...I could go on, but you get the idea. Like how do you spend Discipline? It's like enlightenment, you either have it or you don't.
Vitality is one I have seen used recently in this context that will apparently not be spelt out.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Discipline points, just because any monk at my tables will inevitably be saying "Prepare to be....disciplined" before using Flurry of Blows.

This is absolutely a good thing.
In that case, maybe they should call them Beat Down Points

I'm fine with Discipline or Spirit Points.

Psi Points should be reserved for actual Psions (in case they're ever made). A Monk with Psi Points that multiclasses into a Psion with Psi Points would be confusing. (No, I don't think they can be easily designed to interact with each other seamlessly with different definitions.)

fuindordm

Adventurer
I vote ki.

It is an asian word but not a monocultural word, just like the "monk" as a person who pursues spiritual and athletic improvement simultaneously is an asian archetype but not a monocultural one.

Should we tell every video game to stop using the word mana because it is borrowed from Polynesia? That one is even more culturally specific than ki.

Should WotC enter a licencing agreement with Hunter x Hunter and start calling it Nen? Same concept, different name.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I vote ki.

It is an asian word but not a monocultural word, just like the "monk" as a person who pursues spiritual and athletic improvement simultaneously is an asian archetype but not a monocultural one.
It is specifically a Japanese word. On a Chinese Shaolin archetype. If anything, it should be qi (ch'i, if you want to use the deprecated Wade-Giles romanization).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads