• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What's not going to cost discipline points for the Monk to do now?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There are plenty of solutions, if you care about more people than just casters, as every one of these "solutions" revolves around.

All because in a fantasy world with a myriad of races, enchanted items, and magics of many flavours, people can't imagine the idea of adventurers taking an hour to rest.
There are times where it is difficult to rest. Its always been my primary objection to basing some classes on short rests but not others - it's not always easy to arrange for a rest. Most often this is in dungeon settings, where killing a bunch of monsters in some rooms in a hall attracts the attention of other monsters down the hall. That's not all games, but it is one meaningful playstyle in a game with "dungeons" in the name of it

Vaalingrade

Legend
All because in a fantasy world with a myriad of races, enchanted items, and magics of many flavours, people can't imagine the idea of adventurers taking an hour to rest.
Or don't want to because it's off genre for the strapping baddass to take a leisurely nap between every scene because it makes for pretty awful pacing for action adventure.

Or don't want to because it's off genre for the strapping baddass to take a leisurely nap between every scene because it makes for pretty awful pacing for action adventure.
Trying to completely misrepresent short rests doesn't make an absurd position any more rational; it just highlights the indignance and offense towards anything that doesn't primarily benefit oneself.

I guarantee that many of the same people who insist it's entirely unfeasible for a party to stop and rest for one hour play in groups where the plot conveniently takes a breather every time the Wizard or Paladin has blown all of their spell slots.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Trying to completely misrepresent short rests doesn't make an absurd position any more rational; it just highlights the indignance and offense towards anything that doesn't primarily benefit oneself.
Technically true in that screwing up the pacing by sitting around wasting an hour for no good reason does nto benefit my plot-loving self. But completely unjustified and unprompted swipe noted.

I guarantee that many of the same people who insist it's entirely unfeasible for a party to stop and rest for one hour play in groups where the plot conveniently takes a breather every time the Wizard or Paladin has blown all of their spell slots.
Only matters if you're using clocks. I don't.

Horwath

Legend
Short rests are meant to refresh powers that should be available every battle, or almost every.

If you put it on a 1 min duration, you succeed at that.

1min in combat not doing anything removes you from entire duration of 99% of battles in D&D, and removes the possibility to carry "combat spells" that lasts 1 min to carry to next encounter that literally might be in the next room.

spells need bigger standardization in duration.

1 round: attack modifiers, Hard crowd control
1min: combat buffs/debuffs, Damage over time, Softer crowd control,
12hrs: Area denial crowd control, aventuring spells, minor combat utility, local weather control, summoning spells,
24hrs or more: "kingdom building spells": I.E. teleportation circles, various instant fortresses, temples, druid groves, mage towers, astral gates, NERFED! Leomunds tiny hut.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Short rests are meant to refresh powers that should be available every battle, or almost every.

If you put it on a 1 min duration, you succeed at that.
I'd be fine with that. I even proposed it to my group as a house rule (rejected).

WOTC doesn't seem to be going in that direction. So...now what?

Challenging moderation
Someone perfectly summed up what the Monk Bad crowd wants with the Monk in the other thread (which I'm not allowed to post in because mods hate power-gamers being called out on their obsession and delusion).

They want Monks to be "playable" without Ki/Discipline, and then add on such features...which in reality means they want a class based around usage of a resource to be on par power-wise with every other class, while those other classes are making use of their resources, and then be more powerful when using their resource.

It just reinforces the fact that the hyperbole and abuse towards the creators over a class no one makes them play, just because it isn't their Shonen Power Fantasy self-insert, is because none of their complaints have any reasonable basis in reality and they know what they want is an overpowered class.

Vaalingrade

Legend
What I hear from them, and maybe it's because I'm not shouting insults at them, is that they want what they feel is a reasonable amount of discipline points instead of what they have now.

What I hear from them, and maybe it's because I'm not shouting insults at them, is that they want what they feel is a reasonable amount of discipline points instead of what they have now.
And what I hear from every single person parroting that opinion is the idea that Monks are completely ineffectual without Discipline Points (they aren't) and that they want more Discipline Points solely at low levels because they want to be able to spam two extra attacks almost every turn from a two-level Monk dip.

It's more surprising when someone in the Monk Bad crowd suggests a change that doesn't screw over the Monk in the long-term in favour of making its features more exploitable for multiclassers.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Someone perfectly summed up what the Monk Bad crowd wants with the Monk in the other thread (which I'm not allowed to post in because mods hate power-gamers being called out on their obsession and delusion).

They want Monks to be "playable" without Ki/Discipline, and then add on such features...which in reality means they want a class based around usage of a resource to be on par power-wise with every other class, while those other classes are making use of their resources, and then be more powerful when using their resource.

It just reinforces the fact that the hyperbole and abuse towards the creators over a class no one makes them play, just because it isn't their Shonen Power Fantasy self-insert, is because none of their complaints have any reasonable basis in reality and they know what they want is an overpowered class.
I think munchkin is the specific power gamer/optimizer subtype you keep reaching for.

Remove ads