• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think this falsely assumes that many of these D&D influences are familiar enough with (and enjoy) other RPGs.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
That problem has been solved by Fate.
So, out of curiosity, just what is the amazing solution Fate has for player investment in worldbuilding?

There are plenty of people who play multiple games who don't read GM guidance in detail. Always have been.
Okay, but then it seems like the logical approach for D&D influencers would be to say "Hey, there's this thing in the 5E DMG called 'Succeeding at a Cost' that you might not know about and can improve your game," rather than reaching for a similar concept as implemented in a different game altogether.

Ironically a channel that does that very thing got called insulting by someone on this site for the name “notDnD” ¯\(ツ)
That to me is kind of the thing someone mentioned upthread, where rebelling against D&D becomes the "brand." I have absolutely no problem with playing games that are not D&D, and in fact I do so reguarly (have just been teaching myself Cypher System, for instance). But I actively avoid videos that promise to pitch games that are "instead of D&D" or "what to play when you're moving on from D&D" or anything like that.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
So, out of curiosity, just what is the amazing solution Fate has for player investment in worldbuilding?
It's been a while since I played FATE, but basically during session zero the GM and the players get together and decide what's in the setting. For a Dresden Files game set in Dallas, Texas, the players might decide an area of the State Fairground is a portal to the fae realm, a group of werewolf bikers have a club in Deep Ellum, and that Reunion Tower is actually a device to measure the cosmos and that's where the wizards meet.

Nakana

Explorer
But I actively avoid videos that promise to pitch games that are "instead of D&D" or "what to play when you're moving on from D&D" or anything like that.
Why? I don’t see how that is problematic. Especially when the focus is rpg content other than Dungeons & Dragons.

Or another way to say it:
“instead of D&D” or “what to play when you’re moving on from D&D” is not the same as disparaging D&D.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Why? I don’t see how that is problematic. Especially when the focus is rpg content other than Dungeons & Dragons.

Or another way to say it:
“instead of D&D” or “what to play when you’re moving on from D&D” is not the same as disparaging D&D.
Maybe they just prefer an assessment of a game on it's own merits, rather than a comparison to D&D? And, as a bonus, they are at least a little more likely to avoid anti-D&D axe-grinding.

On a purely practical level, any review comparing a game to D&D 5e would be of very limited value to me, since I've never played and have no interest in 5e. The point of comparison is lost on me, and if a video is about moving on from D&D, I'm clearly not the target demographic.

Nakana

Explorer
Maybe they just prefer an assessment of a game on it's own merits, rather than a comparison to D&D? And, as a bonus, they are at least a little more likely to avoid anti-D&D axe-grinding.

On a purely practical level, any review comparing a game to D&D 5e would be of very limited value to me, since I've never played and have no interest in 5e. The point of comparison is lost on me, and if a video is about moving on from D&D, I'm clearly not the target demographic.
I agree with and am confused by your comment lol.

I wouldn’t want to see “here’s a review on [game] and how it compares to 5e. That’s just apples vs. oranges and pointless. But unless I missed something no one is really doing that.

The name of the channel is “notDnD”, which is an instant way to clue people in. That doesn’t mean every video or review ties back to DnD some way. It’s quite the opposite.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I agree with and am confused by your comment lol.

I wouldn’t want to see “here’s a review on [game] and how it compares to 5e. That’s just apples vs. oranges and pointless. But unless I missed something no one is really doing that.

The name of the channel is “notDnD”, which is an instant way to clue people in. That doesn’t mean every video or review ties back to DnD some way. It’s quite the opposite.
I was responding to you asking why someone would avoid videos pitching games as "different from D&D" or for "moving on from D&D."

Aldarc

Legend
If they don't have or take the time to read the DMG, I see no reason to believe they're going to play multiple games.
No, people who have been playing D&D for years or decades don't think the book can teach them anything, and people who learned how to DM from YouTube and Twitch just don't think reading is how you learn skills like that.
This is actually a good point. IME, a lot of the people who never read the DMG are often also the same people who believe that the DMG has nothing new to teach them because they have been playing D&D for decades. They think that just need the DMG for random tables, magic items, etc. So just because people don't read the 5e DMG doesn't mean that they wouldn't read a new game book. After all, people clearly have no problem reading the 5e PHB, which is just as much a book of core game rules as is some other game's core rulebook. Many other games often do in one book what D&D insists must be done in three books.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not in the post I quoted at least. You gave one as an example, but there was nothing to suggest you were distinguishing them from strategy games or point-and-clicks.

I wasn't, as a matter of fact, and for good reason. Console and PC games are generally seeking to suck down your time like a temporal vampire, genre be damned. The platforms themselves are not well-suited for short play cycles.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Okay, but then it seems like the logical approach for D&D influencers would be to say "Hey, there's this thing in the 5E DMG called 'Succeeding at a Cost' that you might not know about and can improve your game," rather than reaching for a similar concept as implemented in a different game altogether.

Depends how good they think the 5e implementation of the concept is, doesn't it? As I said, I saw several fail forward systems in different games before I saw one that I thought actually worked particularly well. Not all of them are created equal, and even if you otherwise appreciate a given game, that doesn't mean all pieces of it will be done well.

Remove ads