• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure if offensive is the best choice of words here because I wouldn't be offended just bemused. When I'm watching a video about Call of Cthulhu I don't typically hear about other games unless someone has a reason to compare it to Dungeons & Dragons or another game. I think Seth Skorkowsky compared and contrasted Call of Cthulhu to D&D at some points in his 8 part series about the rules for Call of Cthulhu. But for the most part, he doesn't mention games other than the ones he's talking about whether its Cyberpunk, Call of Cthlhu, or Traveller.

I thought about that when I typed it out. But then I thought to myself, "Nah, they'll just appreciate the analogy and won't focus on Papa Johns' crummy pizza."
It's clear though that D&D is the overwhelming dominant element, right, and that it might help the entire hobby and industry for D&D talking heads to at least acknowledge that there are other games that actually do the thing they are talking about.

MGibster

Legend
It's clear though that D&D is the overwhelming dominant element, right, and that it might help the entire hobby and industry for D&D talking heads to at least acknowledge that there are other games that actually do the thing they are talking about.
I agree D&D is the overwhelmingly dominante elment right now, to an unhealthy degree I would argue, but I simply can't agree influencers need to talk about other games though it'd be nice if they did. And just to be clear for those who think I'm being snobbish, I like D&D and don't have a problem with it being dominant, I just don't think it's healthy for the industry as a whole for it to dominate to this degree. I feel the same about Games Workshop when it comes to table top miniature games.

I don't really watch all that many YouTube videos about D&D as I tend to stick with pople who talk about other games. Seth Skorkowsky and XPLovecat both like to talk about Call of Cthulhu. RPG Elite's Servant of Shiloh likes to talk about old school games, but his channel can be hit-or-miss for me as I don't see eye-to-eye with him on some issues. And, damn, that's about it so far as gaming is concerned. I've watched some actual plays of non-D&D games but I can't remember which ones.

It's when channels transition from criticizing D&D to selling their own games that feels a bit sketchy to me.
I don't think sites should be reviewing their competition.

Dire Bare

Legend
It is not the responsibility of influencers to do . . . anything. Anything other than create the content they want to create and hopefully connect with and maintain an audience. That's it.

Creators like Ginni D are a part of the RPG industry, but they are not responsible for "making the industry better".

Nothing wrong with talking about games other than D&D, on their own merits or in contrast with D&D. Also nothing wrong with not doing so.

There are a lot of content creators out there right now, find somebody you vibe with and don't worry about the channels that don't speak to you.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Given I've seen dozens do that over the years in multiple groups, you're going to have to excuse me if I don't buy I've somehow managed to find the small subset that does that.
I have played a lot of different games over my time. And while I probably will get around to reading a GM guidance section at some point if I remain interested in the game long enough, it's generally the last thing I bother with. I will probably give it a skim on my first complete read through, but it's likely to be a long time before I come back to it, if I ever do.

I generally play traditional games, and 95% or more of what is in any GM-guidance section of one of those games is likely to be stuff I already know and, in some cases, things I don't even agree with. The most recent new system I picked up was WFRP 4e, and I certainly didn't buy those books for general guidance on how to be a GM -- I'm interested in the specific details of WFRP character creation, advancement, task resolution, combat etc.

Reading Enemy in Shadows taught me a lot about how I should run WFRP, but that was via the fundamental nature of the module, not any actual advice.

Zardnaar

Legend
GinnyD could at least transition to anything else she likes. Her channel doesn't include D&D in the title.

It's really up to her what content she makes. Consequences ate on her head.

If you go to Bob's D&D channel of awesome sauce its probably not a great idea to be featuring something that's not D&D.

Nakana

Explorer
I don’t think they owe anybody anything. They create the content they want and if there is an audience for it great. I think what we need are more influencers that want to create nonD&D content.

Ironically a channel that does that very thing got called insulting by someone on this site for the name “notDnD” ¯\(ツ)

If we want a wider variety of rpg influencers we need to support them.

Arilyn

Hero
I don't understand what's so offensive about, "D&D could work better with players being involved in setting creation. One game that does this from the jump is Fate."
Ginny mentioned a few times that she loves D&D and isn't that interested in switching games. Having said that, she mentioned Fate on a video a while back, suggesting that its way of building character connections to each other and the world could be adopted to 5e. She occasionally talks about other rpgs as well in a favourable light. I think she played either Monster of the Week or Monster Hearts. Ginny enjoyed it but prefers more D&D style fantasy.

I know this is a more general You Tube thread and we shouldn't get too caught up on Ginny. Just wanted to say that Ginny mentions and plays other rpgs, just rarely.

Remove ads