• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Current fees and costs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm just guessing on that future cost, since it will be towards the end of the process. Could be a lot more, but will depend on which sections of the book I hand over. Doesn't make sense to have them do the Bestiary. Hopefully under $600.
Line editing and copy editing are not words I'm familiar with yet.
Well, just for the record, that rate is incredibly exploitative. I’m curious why you value editing so low, compared to art?

cavetroll

Explorer
Well, just for the record, that rate is incredibly exploitative. I’m curious why you value editing so low, compared to art?
Strange thing to say since you don't know the rate. The editor I reached out to is $160 per thousand words for line editing.
I think I would only send them the core rules, I haven't counted the words.

I think a WOTC editor would do a massive amount of work, but in my case most of what they would do, I am doing.
But its hard to say, since I don't really know what editors do, apart from give structured feedback on the writing and corrections.

aramis erak

Legend
Remember also (corollary to Morrus' correction) good layout guy probably isn't also good editor, and vice versa. There's areason they're different tasks. (Tho' some are good at both; Thor Olavsruud comes to mind)

cavetroll

Explorer
You said it was $300 for a 200 page book. I even double checked that was the figure you meant to say.
Yeah they are not editing the whole book, they are only editing as much as I can afford for them to edit :)
Maybe they will be fantastic and point to many things I missed and I end up spending thousands to fix all my mistakes.
Either way it is all hypothetical until I get to that stage in the project.
I've overspent on many things because of learning as I go.
If I did it from scratch again, my art costs would be significantly lower since now I know some great artists, and I would probably hire an art director so we had one vision from start to end.

aramis erak

Legend
Strange thing to say since you don't know the rate. The editor I reached out to is $160 per thousand words for line editing.
I think I would only send them the core rules, I haven't counted the words.

I think a WOTC editor would do a massive amount of work, but in my case most of what they would do, I am doing.
But its hard to say, since I don't really know what editors do, apart from give structured feedback on the writing and corrections.
Corrections for mechanics of writing (spelling, grammar, clarity), tone (both consistency and suitability), catching incomplete thoughts (a common enough mistake), noticing and challenging use of jargon, suggesting changes in organization, interfacing with proof readers and with tone readers.
Proof readers do portions of this, but proof readers answering to a good editor are a far better thing.

Tone readers aren't looking for mechanics, but offensiveness. In American Standard English, the mechanics are at odds with current tone. The simplest example is that, as defined by the ALA and based upon 300 years of use before the ALA, in ASE, the default singular pronoun is always and only the masculine form for beings; the feminine form is used only to refer to women without men being allowed. Current sociopolitical movement is to use the gendereless forms. All the standard style manuals from more that 10 years ago require citing documents authors by the name published under, never other names; current sociopolitical movement seems to be pushing towards use their current name....

Remove ads