• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerical Ambush, suggestions herein.

Xarlen

First Post
Okay, I'm setting up an ambush. Here's the setup.

Hallway (Or room, whatnot). An elemental will come through the door (Or, in case of earth, wall).

Now, that's just a distraction. Here's the real thing:

There will be an invisible cleric, lying in wait. I'm considering mutliclassing him with a rogue.

His god is Talona (My talona), goddess of Poison, Disease, Suffering, and Pain. He has an envenomed scourge.

I don't want to go over level 10.

Any suggestions, as to any tactics? Spells, so forth?

hong

WotC's bitch
Xarlen said:
His god is Talona (My talona), goddess of Poison, Disease, Suffering, and Pain.

Ooh my little faceless one, faceless one,
When you gonna give me some pain, Talona?
Ooh you make my tears to run, my tears to run
Torture eating into my brain Talona

Never gonna stop, give it up, such an evil mind
I always shrivel up from a touch of the elder kind
My-ee ey-ee by-ee ahee ah woo!
Ma ma ma my Talona

Come a little closer, over here
Close enough to gouge out my eye, Talona
Keep evisceratin' me, killin' me
Cuttin' out the vein in my thigh, Talona

Never gonna stop, give it up, such an evil mind
Ma ma ma my Talona

When ya gonna finish me, finish me
Is it just a matter of time, Talona
Is it a destiny, a destiny
Or are you just destroying my mind, Talona

Never gonna stop, give it up, such a primal mind
Ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma
Myee ey-ee by-ee ahee ah woo!
Ma ma ma my Talona

Sorry.

Zhure

First Post
Dammit. I was going to say that! LOL.

Here's my suggestion. Precast Silence on your shield. When he closes to almost within range of the effect, rush out and give him a beating. Buff yourself with GMW, Magic Vestment, Bull's Strength, etc.

If he's unprepared, he's dead meat.

Without knowing your target's domains or his allies, it's hard to craft an ambush.

Greg

Scrying is a cleric spell

They could have scried on the party in several battles, noted uses of magic items, favored spells, favored tactics, who is the party's healer (kill them first), etc. If they know when the PCs will arrive, they can pre-cast all sorts of nasty spells (some were mentioned above, along with magic vestment (x2), magic circle against x (if someone in the party is a summoner), etc).

Silence on a shield: Since you readied something nasty like harm, just tag the fighter, giggle as he dies, and run. :)

Xarlen

First Post
Cleric doesn't know about them; they've just got word through the pipeline that there's someone in the guild, he had a wizard invisible him, and thus, he's laying in wait.

Hm. That's not a bad combo. Though, he'd likely only have 3 fourth level spells (Rog3/Clr7), so no access to Harm or Slay living. Silence spell would help for one of those, though (Too bad it couldn't be a silenced fourth level spell).

Arcanus

First Post
Hong nobody seems to be really giving you the credit you deserve for your lyrics. That has to be to the funniest thing I have ever read on these boards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.29.31.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.29.31.png
    657.8 KB · Views: 22,960
  • Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.32.19.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.32.19.png
    640.5 KB · Views: 4,001

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Grrrr! This is about the fifth time I've tried to post this... hope it works.

The buffing spells mentioned above are good ideas, and you should use them. However, he does have Rogue levels, and he should use that to his advantage. Give him the Blind Fighting feat. Cast a few buffing spells before they show up, and then cast Silence on his shield/weapon. Then, when they show up, cast Deeper Darkness on his shield/weapon. Free sneak attacks, and they can't see or hear you. If you want to be nasty, cast Summon Monster IV and summon 1d3 Fiendish Dire Bats before you cast the Silence spell. Have fun.

Attachments

• Arcana of the Ancients.jpg
    Arcana of the Ancients.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 19,955
Last edited:

Remove ads