• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calculating Damage

Goolpsy

First Post
This might be a noobish Question but i have seaches through alot of entries and examples and haven't found an answer yet:

How precisely do you calculate the etc. 2[W] + str .??
Say you have a magic +1 Long Sword and 14 in str

1. Would you deal (1d8+1)+(1d8+1)+2(str) damage
or
2. 2d8(sword)+1(magic)+2(Str) damage?

Only examples i've seen the Bonuses are added afterwards, according to #2, but that was specificly stated in the powers..

TimeOut

First Post
I would think that 1 is correct...

Source: PHB, page 225, left side "Enhancement". It says "damage rolls" not "total damage" or something like that... I would say that if you strike twice with a +1 sword, you should get +1 damage each strike.

Jack99: Source please? :)

TimeOut

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Page 219, in the equipment chapter. The [W] notation refers only to the weapon's actual damage dice, no other modifiers.

Thanks. But the part on 219 has no mention of modifiers, only the term of "damage die". The question is: Does a +1 weapon use a damage die of "1w4+1" or is it a fixed modifier. The magic weapon chapter is not clear in that, I think. :/

Goolpsy

First Post
Then maybe a 3rd option is in place? 2[W] + str = 2d8+2(str) and no enchantment bonus then? Since it isn't mentioned anywhere?
Their bad and useless examples and weird notations really bug me :/

Goolpsy said:
Then maybe a 3rd option is in place? 2[W] + str = 2d8+2(str) and no enchantment bonus then? Since it isn't mentioned anywhere?
Their bad and useless examples and weird notations really bug me :/

Not sure what you mean. Your second example in the original post was correct.

The chapter is very clear; you add a weapon's enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.

Goolpsy

First Post
But obviously not to damage of powers?
if 2W is JUST THE DICE... and STR is.. STR.. then where does enchantment bonuses come into play :)
might seem weird to bicker about a "+1" to damage (from the example), but its waaay waay more considering some other 3W powers at higher levels with higher bonuses.

Look under the Magic Items section. It talks about when to add the enhancement bonus to damage--including when using powers that make use of the weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads