• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

But I don't wanna be raised!

Wippit Guud

First Post
Is anyone else weird like me, and refuses to have any of their characters raised when they die?

I guess my reasoning is that since I have so many character ideas, and so few games, that I look at a character dying as an opportunity to try something different, rather than just "Oh, have to spend anoher 5000gp."

- Yes! Crisitunity!

KenM

Banned
Banned
My Dwarf fighter should be about 12th level by now. Due to a couple of level drains and XP penalty from being raises, i'm only 9th. I did not want to be raised because of the XP penalty. I did not mind loosing the XP one time, but it gets old really fast. The WHOLE POINT of the game is to get XP to get higher levels. Whats the point of going out and getting XP when you just going to loose them getting raised?

Crothian

First Post
I would need good role playing reasons to see my character raised, but usually in the games I play in nobody really sees being raised as an option.

JoeGKushner

First Post
All depends on the character, the magic level of the campaign, and what the GM has in mind.

When I GM, if a player doesn't want his character raised, then the spell automatically fails to raise them.

When I play, unless the character is above 6th level, I don't see any point in getting them raised.

If higher, even with the experience point penalty, I usually opt for it when possible. With the different way experience is handled in 3.5, you usually make those lost levels up pretty quickly.

Numion

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
Is anyone else weird like me, and refuses to have any of their characters raised when they die?

I guess my reasoning is that since I have so many character ideas, and so few games, that I look at a character dying as an opportunity to try something different, rather than just "Oh, have to spend anoher 5000gp."

- Yes! Crisitunity!

In our group people usually have their characters resurrected just once, if that - after that it's adios. Really special ("favorite") characters have been resurrected twice, but I can't think of one to be resurrected three times. BTW, I play resurrections by the book, so it isn't a question of availability.

Despite resurrections players are usually pretty pissed when a PC bites it, so I've never understood the gripe that resurrections cheapen death. I bet it's mostly DMs that feel that way. Players know how it feels, resurrections or not ;)

Datt

First Post
I would like to have my character raised if I still had plans for him/her. But if my character dies and he/she died in a way that was fit for him/her, then I wouldn't want him to be raised.

Shallown

First Post
I have played in campaigns where, as players, we all agreed that we wouldn't have our characters raised. teh campaignitself was set up to handle this without to big an issue. We never even found out if raising and such was an option we just decided to be grim and gritty about that part.

In the campaign I run some characters have been raised twice and that is all they are willing to do. Usually it happens in such a way that they have to make a deal or baragain for it to happen. Such as when the party had gems ready for raises and even a scroll then the cleric got killed. The only person who could use either easily. The Msytic Thurge gave it a go even though he wasn't high enough level to cast the spell from the scroll. Instead of leaving it as a caster check to cast I brought each player in toa room seperately and acted as the God of the Mystic Thurge and asked what they would give up to bring back the cleric. Its amazing the range of offers you get from players, from my own life to the halfing rogue who wouldn't give anything to him but would to his God (the god of Luck) So the God of lucking being a gambling God bought his marker from the original God. That has been hanging over his head ever since.

I think Bring characters back is alright as long as it is handled as something more than just having the money and castingthe spell. I think this is big magic that gets the attention of the diety (or their agent) and requires some further bargaining. The spell earns you the audience, more or less, with the Diety (or agent thereof). Makes the decision to come back a little harder and the sacrifice a little greater but also lets you use Raise dead without losing alevel in my game just might have to pay another way.

later

Null Boundry

First Post
KenM said:
The WHOLE POINT of the game is to get XP to get higher levels. Whats the point of going out and getting XP when you just going to loose them getting raised?

Weird. I could have sworn the point was to have fun.

Remove ads