• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Berserker - Advanced Battle Defense, what am I missing?

Skynex

Villager
I feel like I'm missing something... What is the advantage of choosing Enhanced Vitality over Preternatural Agility? Seems like no matter your build Preternatural Agility would have the most benefit. Thoughts?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I feel like I'm missing something... What is the advantage of choosing Enhanced Vitality over Preternatural Agility? Seems like no matter your build Preternatural Agility would have the most benefit. Thoughts?
Maybe Enhanced Vitality should've been you can add your Con modifier to Strength and Dex saves.

Gandalf970

Explorer
I think this is meant for the fully armored berserker who didn't put any points in Dex, but has a better Con. Enhanced Vitality allows you to substitute your Con for the save.

SmokedGouda

Explorer
I think it mostly comes down to any Dex save abilities that involve both damage to trigger these features AND some other type of effect on a failed save like being restrained. In those situations (if there are any) Enhanced Vitality might be the better option if you're built for it, otherwise Preternatural Agility would be superior 100% of the time.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think this is meant for the fully armored berserker who didn't put any points in Dex, but has a better Con. Enhanced Vitality allows you to substitute your Con for the save.
I think that was the intent, but it looks like (without having tested it) that Preternatural Agility would give you a better benefit of no damage on a success.

I think it mostly comes down to any Dex save abilities that involve both damage to trigger these features AND some other type of effect on a failed save like being restrained. In those situations (if there are any) Enhanced Vitality might be the better option if you're built for it, otherwise Preternatural Agility would be superior 100% of the time.
This was my thought as well. We probably need to read through the MM and Spell/Maneuver list to see if there are enough additional effects to make Enhanced Vitality worthwhile.

Skynex

Villager
I agree 100%. Though if they made Enhanced Vitality All Dex saves, that would make it a much tougher decision. Unless there are a whole bunch of save for half, with other effects, in the game. I'm not sure on that yet. Time to read more!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads