• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard is spoiled!

Xris Robin

First Post
Doesn't say they can use multiple power swap feats. Wanna bet they still can only swap out three powers, just from different classes?

Also, anyone else notice the three main Bard stats being Cha, Int, and Con means they have one stat in each defense?

It doesn't say anything about stopping the "you can only take a feat once" portion of multiclassing, so it appears you can have any number ofr base multiclass feats(since they are different feats) and up to three power swaps, which in theory you could change between different classes at each level.

I am not sure how great this is. It looks amazing at first glance, and I think it will be fun to play with in terms of character concepts, but each of those base classes have prereq stats, so if you are using a standard point buy, the bard isn't going to be able to dabble in all of them.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Doesn't say they can use multiple power swap feats. Wanna bet they still can only swap out three powers, just from different classes?

Also, anyone else notice the three main Bard stats being Cha, Int, and Con means they have one stat in each defense?

That is probably the case and it may be how they were able to balance it out, since you can only really get so much out of it, but it does mean you could have a Half-Elf that gets a paladin attack via dilletante, a warlock power via that multiclass and a wizard power via their multiclass. The big payoff is at epic, when you can take powers from multiple classes with the Wanderer path, and you'll have the ability to use implements from those classes.

Getting additional healing via multiclassing into warlord and cleric can be interesting.

As for the stats ... well, the Con seems a bit weird, as probably dex or str would make more sense for the more "swashbuckling" type rogue [the melee equivalent, since we are seeing the ranged version]. However, fitting it into what the half-elf already had makes sense, and very few classes make con an important stat.

MrMyth

First Post

That's how I'm reading it - though interestingly, it would mean they could take the three power swap feats (for whichever classes they choose), but also snag the gladiator Weapons Master feats and such as well.

Badwe

First Post
I subscribed just to see the bard. I'm very intrigued. I had been thinking about subscribing anyway, and this sort of forced my hand.

lexoanvil

First Post
i like the "aura" powers they get like the one that gives temp hit points. just like in previous edition the bard looks like a great 5th member of a group or great 3rd member if you want a leader with some controller fluff with it.

Badwe

First Post
After having read over all of it, I _love_ the misdirecting mark abilities. We are currently playing in a party with no defender classes, and at times it's been quite brutal when the enemies are consantly able to make the best attacks possible at the most vulnerable. Having a character able to turn anyone into a defender temporarily would have been amazing! However, considering we started at level 7 as part of moving over from a different campaign, I don't think we could have reasonably used a bard. level 13 would come too quickly before PHB2 actually sees print.

WalterKovacs

First Post
After having read over all of it, I _love_ the misdirecting mark abilities. We are currently playing in a party with no defender classes, and at times it's been quite brutal when the enemies are consantly able to make the best attacks possible at the most vulnerable. Having a character able to turn anyone into a defender temporarily would have been amazing! However, considering we started at level 7 as part of moving over from a different campaign, I don't think we could have reasonably used a bard. level 13 would come too quickly before PHB2 actually sees print.

I am really liking the PHBII stuff they've shown off so far, in terms of class design.

In the PHB, they had sort of hinted at the dual role idea, with Paladin being a bit of a leader, fighter being a bit of a striker, warlock being a bit of a controller, etc ... The barbarian and bard looks like they've gotten comfortable with the established class roles, and found ways to really establish secondary role as a clear concept. With a "standard" party being 5 people, you are always going to be looking for more than 1 of each roll ... so with some good mixing and matching, you'll be able to run without certain rolls by having enough characters "minoring" in the roll to work with it.

Danceofmasks

First Post
I reckon the bard is made of awesome ...
My favourite feature is the song of rest .. get on yer deckchairs and the tiefling hippy breaks out the guitar ..

That's just ... epic win.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads