• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Banned from playing a specific archtype?

Wippit Guud

First Post
Has a GM ever banned you specifically from playing a certian type of character? I'm not talking "no paladins allowed", I mean "everyone can play a paladin but you."

Personally, I've had 4 GMs so far ban me from playing a Malkavian in V:TM after just one session. Seems people have trouble staying in character when I'm roleplaying boB. (hard to play an assamite assassin when you can't stop laughing...)

Steverooo

First Post
Not sure how serious they were, but I have had a couple of GMs say that I wasn't allowed to play a Bard... This after I spouted some impromptu poetry in their game, or somesuch! (I never tried to play a Bard since 1e, though, so it isn't "fer sure" that they would have banned me, for real).

On the other hand, there are some guys I've played with who should be banned from playing Paladins, big time! :p

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yes I have BUT this was special, I had a player that ALWAYS created a wizard character and ALWAYS played him as a fighter. He was not a bad player, it was that he played the wizard badly and it did cause issues at the table. We talked and directed him to fighter, then to cleric, and later to wizard after he had learned what it meant and put thought into his character.

There are classes that take extra knowledge, thought and depth to play and it is up to the DM to make sure his players have fun playing the game, sometimes this means directing the style of the player to something they are more in tune with.

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Steverooo said:
On the other hand, there are some guys I've played with who should be banned from playing Paladins, big time! :p

I knew this guy who played a Paladin... Once, he didn't detect evil for nearly 3 rounds. Another time he didn't kill a village because they 'might not be evil'. He was rubbish!!! :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The only thing I ban is evil in my non-evil games. In my evil games, no good allowed. Other than that, it's pretty much free for all.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I have a player who is just desperate to play evil characters. As a DM I disallow evil characters at the table. I really want to force the guy to play a good character for a change. Until then I'm stuck with him playing CN, as its the closest he can get to being evil in his mind.

Darklone

Not yet. My DMs know I prefer to play a Jack of all Trades elven char ... but I usually ask them whether they mind of not and go play a kobold barbarian or a minotaur wizard instead...

One of my friends was banned from ever playing a kender. Seems nothing ever got done when he was. It's hard for the DM to have a constructive game session when everyone is laughing to hard to listen. :)

Mystery Man

First Post
Never banned but the rest of my group and I all breathed a sigh of relief when one player decided to play a fighter rather than a spellcaster for my new campaign.

Remove ads