• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

darjr

I crit!
Please, it was a picnic frolic compared to 3E-4E.
Maybe in volume but not in sheer viscousness. Not imho.

Also I think many of the 4e camps were largely opposed to each other already.

The PF camps, as far as I can tell, many started off as close allies and/or friends.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Also I think many of the 4e camps were largely opposed to each other already.

The PF camps, as far as I can tell, many started off as close allies and/or friends.
Guess I didn't see it. The viciousness I'm saying. Many folks were disappointed by PF2, I am one of them, but I didn't see the nastiness. I was a Paizo forum regular and playtested all of PF2. 🤷‍♂️

This is an interesting exchange. I was a bit shocked at the suggestion it could have been worse than the massive, bitter, years-long, business-spawning and brand-damaging that were the 4E Edition Wars… but then I never hung out on the Paizo boards. I didn’t take an interest in Pathfinder until 2e, so I must’ve missed it.

I definitely see how a split community could be a major blow to Paizo, given that Pathfinder is their main brand.

I do find it hilariously ironic (but still frustrating and sad) that the issue that spawned Pathfinder is the same one that sundered Pathfinder’s own community.

Green Onceler

Explorer

Interesting. I was on RPG hiatus during the 3e/4e late unpleasantness. It was always whispered to be a time of great turmoil, though.

I was quite involved with Paizo fora etc. when PF2 emerged. There were certainly some very bitter, melodramatic people who saw the new game as an affront to all things decent. However, the vast majority of those disinterested in the new game, I feel, were similar to myself, and have just largely ignored the new game and continued on with their huge troves of extant 1e material.

I have stopped paying attention to Paizo at this point and I feel many others who prefer 1e may be the same. There is no need to go to the 1e reddit or Paizo fora as Paizo have stated many times they will no longer produce material for that game. I am not bitter about that at all. I have plenty of material already. However, I think that could be one significant reason PF2 Reddit has more users than PF1.

darjr

I crit!
I’ll grant y’all my view if it may be myopic and skewed.

But the other post gave me a “yea, now that guy mentioned it” moment.

Interesting. I was on RPG hiatus during the 3e/4e late unpleasantness. It was always whispered to be a time of great turmoil, though.

I was quite involved with Paizo fora etc. when PF2 emerged. There were certainly some very bitter, melodramatic people who saw the new game as an affront to all things decent. However, the vast majority of those disinterested in the new game, I feel, were similar to myself, and have just largely ignored the new game and continued on with their huge troves of extant 1e material.

I have stopped paying attention to Paizo at this point and I feel many others who prefer 1e may be the same. There is no need to go to the 1e reddit or Paizo fora as Paizo have stated many times they will no longer produce material for that game. I am not bitter about that at all. I have plenty of material already. However, I think that could be one significant reason PF2 Reddit has more users than PF1.
You seem positively reasonable!

Thrawn007

Reformed grognard
In my area PF2 killed organized PF play. We embraced the playtest all in and generally were not happy.

Now a couple years later I've come to appreciate the elegance of PF2 design. We still play PF1 APs and dabbled in 5E, but I keep finding points of frustration with both that PF2 directly addresses. Now trying to get people to try PF2 again has been difficult because of how put off everyone was during the playtest.

In my area PF2 killed organized PF play. We embraced the playtest all in and generally were not happy.

Now a couple years later I've come to appreciate the elegance of PF2 design. We still play PF1 APs and dabbled in 5E, but I keep finding points of frustration with both that PF2 directly addresses. Now trying to get people to try PF2 again has been difficult because of how put off everyone was during the playtest.
This is fascinating to hear. Kinda speaks to the dangers of doing a drawn-out public playtest

Remove ads