Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

Thomas Shey

Legend
There very clearly are. While I think PF2e is the superior game, it does not serve some needs that PF1e did, and neither does D&D5e, so its still got some proponents and fans. Its suffering from the usual curse of a no-longer really supported game (player replacement decays as for the most part random new players are not going to see any reason to invest effort in a game that is no longer supported, and it snowballs over time unless you get something like the OSR community), but its recent enough there's still a decent sized populace out there.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yeah I still play it. But I really don't like high level play and I avoid high level games of it.

High level play was always my kryptonite as a GM of both 3.5 and Pathfinder 1e (it's why I drifted away from both). There's just too much crunch to be manageable (for me) at high levels.

I'm still playing in one weekly Pathfinder 1st edition campaign and GMing another. We even manage the dreaded high level games, admittedly by patching the system on the fly and refraining from using anything too broken.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The weekly PF1 campaign I had been running got killed by the initial COVID lockdown. And life events have not let us get back to it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
High level play was always my kryptonite as a GM of both 3.5 and Pathfinder 1e (it's why I drifted away from both). There's just too much crunch to be manageable (for me) at high levels.

That was why I abandoned my 3.5 campaign after 14th level; it just grew impossible to manage.

For what its worth, the GM for the Age of Ashes campaign I'm in says that while its starting to get a bit difficult, running for our 19th level hybrid characters is still manageable.

I would GM high level, core only. The power creep is the splat books is massive, and it's where 5th ed is going ( to make sure PCs don't die and always win).

Remove ads