• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Favored Class system.

Lily Inverse

First Post
Rather than, or possibly in addition to, basing Favored Class on race, why not base it on previous class. It would work something like this.

At first level, you can pick any class as normal. After that, you can advance in your original class, or in a "related" class without penalty. If you wish to branch outside of your related classes, you pay the XP penalty. Favored Classes are always based on the class you advanced in previously.

Favored Classes are as follows:

Barbarian: Bard, Fighter, Druid, Ranger.

Bard: Fighter, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard.

Cleric: Any (if approved by patron diety), Paladin, Monk

Druid: Cleric (Of related diety), Ranger

Fighter: Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Paladin, Ranger

Monk: Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue.

Paladin: Cleric, Fighter, Ranger (If follower of a nature diety)

Ranger: Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Rogue

Rogue: Bard, Fighter, Wizard

Sorcerer: Any

Wizard: Sorcerer, Bard.

(The above selections are based on what I think make sense, not necessarily any game-balance issues)

Shado

Explorer
Interesting concept.

I do have one thing I feel I have to point out. You just gimped Half-elves. As they are in the PHB Half-elves are just watered down elves, but with the abilty to have "any" favored class. If you use this system, you take away that balance aspect. Something to concider. You may need to give the Half-elf something else to conpensate.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I think you should keep Fighter and Rogue seperate from the rest. From my point of view, Fighter is just dedicated martial training, nothing more. Rogue is dedicated skills training, along with sneaky crap for some reason.

I'm sure your players will be able to find holes in these groupings; I can imagine city Rangers & Druids easily. (What's a Ranger if not a Rogue who focuses slightly more on combat & tracking?) But this sounds like a good idea, logical groupings.

For half-elves: give them an extra Feat or +1 Skill Points instead.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I agree that Fighter and Rogue should probably be kept as universal, able to be taken whenever.

Also keep in mind that you're gimping Humans too - one of their advantages is Any favored class as well. If you're going to add something to Half-Elves, add something to Humans too.

Shado

Explorer
LightPheonix,

I don't think it gimps humans at all. They already get +1 to base skills and an extra feat. 99% of the time, other than for roleplaying purposes, that's why humans are choosen as a race. The feat and skill points. Half-elf, when not choosen for roleplaying purposes, aren't choosen... the elf is superior statwise to the half-elf every time... except when the player is trying to avoid multiclass restrictions. That the half-elf's only advantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads