• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Adventure in a temple?

TheSword

Legend
I’m looking for an adventure set in a temple, monastary or library or substantially featuring a one of these?

It has to be a working temple/monastary/library, not ruined. Staffed by folks. Ideally of a good or neutral good.

Any edition of D&D or D&D adjacent.

Ideally a good adventure.

Any ideas? I know there’s an encyclopedic knowledge split between the posters on Enworld so would appreciate the signposting.

Voadam

Legend
2e Greyhawk had the Falcon Trilogy and the second one WGA2 Falconmaster has a big defense of a LG Cuthbert temple as part of it. Mid level party, mixed adventure types.

3e and 5e (and other systems) has Death in Freeport where the investigation in part goes to the Temple of the Knowledge God (non-evil). Low level characters doing an urban investigation in D&D.

I've run both, I think Death in Freeport is particularly good, but both are only in part in these places.

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Candlekeep Mysteries has multiple adventures set in a library (Candlekeep) and one (The Price of Beauty) set in a monastery. Of the library ones, The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces and Shemshime’s Bedtime Rhyme are both excellent.

The Price of Beauty is bad, though.

Tammeraut’s Fate (in Ghosts of Saltmarsh for 5E, previously published for 3E) is very good and is set in a besieged monastery.

TheSword

Legend
Candlekeep Mysteries has multiple adventures set in a library (Candlekeep) and one (The Price of Beauty) set in a monastery. Of the library ones, The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces and Shemshime’s Bedtime Rhyme are both excellent.

The Price of Beauty is bad, though.

Tammeraut’s Fate (in Ghosts of Saltmarsh for 5E, previously published for 3E) is very good and is set in a besieged monastery.
Are they set in the library or just accessed through the library. I thought the Candlekeep mysteries were all set off campus and the book was just the hook/gimmick?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Are they set in the library or just accessed through the library. I thought the Candlekeep mysteries were all set off campus and the book was just the hook/gimmick?

The ones I listed, and a few others, are actually set in the library.

Joy of Extradimensional Spaces - set in Candlekeep (also involves entering a Magnificent Mansion)
Mazfroth's Mighty Digressions - opening section is set in Candlekeep
Shemshime's Bedtime Rhyme - entirely within Candlekeep
The Price of Beauty - set in Temple of the Restful Lily
Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion - entirely within Candlekeep
The Scrivener's Tale - begins in Candlekeep & climax takes place in a different library, the Haven of the Red Quill (which is in Baldur's Gate)

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I mentioned this in the Monastery thread the other day, but Dungeon Magazine #54 has an adventure called Unhallowed Ground. It's a neat little murder mystery type adventure with the tag-line "A Monster Amonkst Us"
You know I actually knew that one already. It’s a great little adventure. Fun fact it was written by Professor Dungeon Master of Dungeoncraft fame.

Heavily inspired by the Name of the Rose. Only downside is I’ve ran it already. But it’s exactly The kind of thing I was looking for.

Meech17

Adventurer
You know I actually knew that one already. It’s a great little adventure. Fun fact it was written by Professor Dungeon Master of Dungeoncraft fame.

Heavily inspired by the Name of the Rose. Only downside is I’ve ran it already. But it’s exactly The kind of thing I was looking for.
That's how I found it actually. I was watching one of his videos and he mentioned he had some adventures published in Dungeon Magazine. So I ended up down this rabbit hole of finding them. I haven't run the adventure myself yet, but I read it, and it sounds like a lot of fun. It's on my list.

Glad to hear you ran it and can confirm that it's as good as it seems.

Remove ads