• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Actual Play Television: Article on WotC's "Adventuring Party"

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Im not really up to date on this stuff, but I really hope it doesn't go in some competition reality TV direction (if it hasnt already).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Im not really up to date on this stuff, but I really hope it doesn't go in some competition reality TV direction (if it hasnt already).
You know, that hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it I would be VERY surprised if this wasn't the format Hollywood chose.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You know, that hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it I would be VERY surprised if this wasn't the format Hollywood chose.
The Purple Worm show that's coming out is closer to a competitive format. In it they declare a winner -- the PC that lives the longest.

But also, competitive D&D started as soon as the game did. Gygax regularly ran tournament dungeons. If one of the shows is competitive that's not a big deal.

And, again, Polygon ignores that this isn't the first attempt at Hollywood and D&D. They didn't change it then and they're unlikely to change it now. Competitive reality TV doesn't save money over non-competitive reality TV. Plus, we know millions of people will watch Actual Plays that are good.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The Purple Worm show that's coming out is closer to a competitive format. In it they declare a winner -- the PC that lives the longest.

But also, competitive D&D started as soon as the game did. Gygax regularly ran tournament dungeons. If one of the shows is competitive that's not a big deal.

And, again, Polygon ignores that this isn't the first attempt at Hollywood and D&D. They didn't change it then and they're unlikely to change it now. Competitive reality TV doesn't save money over non-competitive reality TV. Plus, we know millions of people will watch Actual Plays that are good.
That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about a reality TV competition show. Basically, The Voice for a actual play cast.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Even worse, a show with a pack of dinks treating each other awfully for viewer rubbernecking.
I don't feel like you watch a lot of modern skill based competition reality shows. Most of them do not focus on that Survivor style BS. They focus very much on the actual thing -- cooking, singing, whatever.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don't feel like you watch a lot of modern skill based competition reality shows. Most of them do not focus on that Survivor style BS. They focus very much on the actual thing -- cooking, singing, whatever.
Even with skill based focus, I still dislike the competitive nature. I think its a bad direction of focus of many a hobby and craft. YMMV.

Remove ads