• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) A5E LU vs. PF2e ++

gorice

Hero
It doesn't really use keywords to the same extent as PF2e, but it's a better choice than o5e simply because of it's greatly expanded exploration tier. As I mentioned, it uses a trackable metric called Supply that is an amalgam of food & water, an expanded selection of activities a PC can perform while traveling (called Journey Activities). While Journeying a PC might cook a meal to get more out of meager resources, entertain the group to keep spirits high, look for supplies for a healer's kit or even material components for spellcasters. Track enemies or scout ahead to look out for trouble, even steal from passers by lol.

Each PC class has something called Knacks (or a similar mechanic) that are specifically abilities you can learn and use while exploring. For example Rangers have knacks that make them great foragers, give them the ability to produce minor healing potions called salves, construct long-term shelter that lasts potentially forever and protect from weather & even attacks in the night.

On top of this, there are encounter tables for each tier of play separated by terrain. These aren't necessarily random monster encounters either, they could be a traveling merchant who makes camp with the group, a natural garden filled with supplies, or other strange things. For specifically Dark Sun, there are tables for Blasted Lands (devastated landscape), Fiery Hellscape (volcanic mountains, etc), Haunted Lands (abandoned villages, undead-haunted settlements), Lofty Mountains, Open Roads, Parched Sands, or even Tangled Forest for the rare jungles that exist on Athas. There's a page on creating your own Regions.. so I'd probably add like Silt Sea & Salt Flats, Dust Sinks.. etc.

Long post I realize, but there's so much here that supports a great exploration tier. I haven't even gotten into things like travel scenery, creature signs (footprints, rubbed off bark suggesting a nearby bear.. etc), exploration challenges which are pages of non-combat encounters that test the PCs skills and are usually exploration/survival based.. such as inclement weather, collapsing structures, fields of battle, back alleys, fairy rings, forest fires.. pages and pages of them and they are all awesome.

My first a5e campaign isn't going to be Dark Sun... instead I plan on making use of the Zeitgeist setting due in a few months for campaign set on the high seas, involving a naval war the PCs become embroiled in; but without a doubt there hasn't been a d20 TTRPG this suited for Dark Sun since 3rd edition D&D.

FYI the kickstarter is expected to start accepting late backers in the next week. You might want to consider it. ;)
Thanks for the detailed response. The exloration stuff sounds great; I will have to give the game a look when I have time.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
There is no expected number of encounters per day and short rest / long rest ability balancing in PF2e.
There is! Anything that takes 10 minutes, like recharging Focus Points, repairing shields, and healing are all Short Rest activities, it just annoyingly doesn't strictly codify it. Much more in line with 4e's actual Short Rest than 5e's Short Long Rest and Long Long Rest.

noodohs

Explorer
What I am most excited about with LU is that I might actually be able to get people to play it. I've gotten kinda bored with O5e and the limitations it has in terms of what you can do with any given character and I would love to convert over to PF2e, but there are only a few of my friends that are likely to come along. And I don't totally blame them; while I do love how much you can customize characters in PF2e, there are a daunting (and frankly unnecessary, IMO) number of rules and nitpicking and such. I can get over that because once you get going you'll figure it out and there are certainly advantages to that level of specificity, but it really turns off people who have only played O5e. Others of my friends have bad experiences with past Pathfinder power gamers who have, unfortunately, tainted their opinion of the game as a whole. So I see LU as a nice middleground between the two where you get a lot of that customization from PF2e but the relative simplicity of rules from 5e. And all I had to do was show my friends the PDF and they are already on board.

Aside from that, if we just ignore O5e and just talk about LU and PF2e, I definitely think the strengths of LU are that it's easier to learn and run. PF2e has more crunch if you want that and I think generally is better at being scary for players, which I know both of my DMs appreciate. LU does a better job of that than O5e, but PF2e is still the better game for really being dangerous, IMO.

My first a5e campaign isn't going to be Dark Sun... instead I plan on making use of the Zeitgeist setting due in a few months for campaign set on the high seas, involving a naval war the PCs become embroiled in

You need to come over to the EN Publishing forum and tell me more.

Xaielao

Explorer
Lol I don't have any real specifics just yet RangerWickett. It's mostly an idea I have brewing in the back of my mind while I'm running other things. I have a feeling it won't fully solidify as a campaign plot until I have the Zeitgeist book in hand and get a real feel for the setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads