• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 5E, A5E, or ToV?

Which one?

• I am familiar with all three: 5E

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I am familiar with all three: A5E

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I am familiar with all three: ToV

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I am not familiar with all three

Votes: 40 45.5%

Waller

Legend
So 3 main branches of 5E.
  • Official D&D (2014)
  • Level Up: Advanced 5E (2021)
  • Takes of the Valiant/Black Flag (2024)
Ignoring “it’s more popular so I choose that’ or “all my friends play this one so I choose it” which version of 5E do you prefer on its own merits and why?

If you aren’t familiar with all three that’s OK, but I’d prefer to hear from people speaking from an informed perspective.

Though I guess posting this in the D&D 5E forum will pretty much decide the vote outcome!

Last edited:

At this point: 5e.

Reason:
LvlUP A5E is too complex for me at the moment.
ToV as a whole is useless at this point. There is no reason to buy or use a slightly altered system that has no substancial improvement on the player side.

In a few month (after 2024 is out) we can talk again. If 2024 is not to my tastes, I might settle for one of the other options for a while. But right now, it is needless work to switch over if there is a very reasonable chance to switch over again very soon.

Quickleaf

Legend
So far they all interest me in different but equal ways…yet none really hits the sweet spot of what I want, which is why I’m hacking my own.

A5E I think has way better quality of supplements than most of 5e. I love the dungeon book from ENPublishing. However, I find the player facing stuff more complex than I’d like - same reason why PF2e makes me go “oh boy, more complexity and playing the character building mini-game.” But I get that it’s hugely popular.

WotC 5e is familiar now, so it’s a decent enough baseline. I do like their monster lore too, and VgtM was a great monster book. But I’ve found so many issues and gaps in what the rules care about (not in a nitpicky way, in a “why did you gut exploration? why are chases crap?” more foundational way). I think the focus is in the wrong place, hence my hacking. But I do enjoy things like the potion miscible tables, the magic items, the lore attached to the classes, the design of the rogue class is IMO top notch.

TotV feels like a very slight permutation on 5e…too slight for my tastes, too familiar to the baseline. But I only followed the playtest for TotV, not what’s currently been published so I’m not certain where the changes are. I have deep affection for Kobold Press, love the Tome of Beasts and Courts of the Shadow Fey, so I really want to like TotV.

Right now though, my answer is “None of the above - doing “5e-esque” my own kitbashed way for now.”

Last edited:

Remove ads