• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 50th Anniversary- Are You Not Entertained?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As far as RPG products go, I can't say I had much higher expectations than what's announced. We're getting a 50th-aniversary re-edition so that's not insignificant. I would have expected something Greyhawk-related however...
We know thar one if the things the new DMG has is a complete Setting with a fold-out map, so...I expect something Greyhawk.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Eh. I think very few people care about it as much as some people on this forum.
Maybe it's not on the radar for casual fans, but if WotC were making a big fanfare about it, that would put it on the radar and create excitement. It's a ready-made opportunity that they're not, so far, capitalizing on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe it's not on the radar for casual fans, but if WotC were making a big fanfare about it, that would put it on the radar and create excitement. It's a ready-made opportunity that they're not, so far, capitalizing on.
It's February: they don't usually do much of anything at this time of year.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
May sound like a dumb question, but last time I was asked I was 18. Its kind of nice that somebody cares.
I'm mostly joking. I can't remember the last time I was asked before this year. I just moved out of state away from home last year so I'm sure being a few hundred miles away probably prompted them.

My mom ended up just cash-apping me money, so I got the Creature Codex from Kobold Press and a new pair of jeans.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
To say that I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. I know that WotC has marketing people. I know that Hasbro has them. This is a fantastic opportunity to get media attention about the game and free promotion like you couldn't believe. So far do we have any marketing?

Off the top of my head, running a series of interviews with people who've been playing the game over the decades, working with the many celebrities that play the game. Have short videos that have them saying "happy birthday D&D" at the very least. Highlighting the popular culture impact of the game over the decades. I know people have been talking about Disney, but for a company that does things right, Disney lives on nostalgia and it makes them tons of money.

If I had to guess, it's because the people who are doing marketing for Hasbro, and likely D&D as well, know nothing about the game. But at least you would expect them to be able to say "we have a big brand that has a 50th anniversary, let's make some noise."

It's truly sad because this is the last big anniversary I'm likely to live to see and so far there have been crickets.

mamba

Legend
I mean, 6 RPG products, a new Organized Play competitive tournament module series, 3 novels, a feature length historical documentary...but there is probably stuff we don't know yet, too.
all of that has been announced already, so it is not something they still can announce and are holding back…

I am not expecting much else, maybe a sale on DDB, but not a new book we have not heard of yet

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads