• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Fighter

any action could be doubled... I can't say I ever remember investigation, but sure to search in half the time.
So, should rogues be able to turn any action into a bonus action? Like cast a spell? Or is that outside the rogue's purview?

Because the base playtest fighter may now have an extra action that fits within their core purview, but an Eldritch Knight subclass may be able to include the use the Magic action, which would be within its purview. After all, that is the fighter that would benefit from it. And if you want it as another class, "dip" 3 levels into fighter and take Eldritch Knight.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
So, should rogues be able to turn any action into a bonus action? Like cast a spell? Or is that outside the rogue's purview?
I don't understand what you mean? do rogues have an ability I don;t know? I think the arcane trickster can use mage hand as a bonus but I'm not sure about that. Any sorcerer can quicken with enough points?
What does this have to do with action surge change?

Because the base playtest fighter may now have an extra action that fits within their core purview, but an Eldritch Knight subclass may be able to include the use the Magic action, which would be within its purview.
oh so this has nothing to do with rogues it's just "If your not a spell caster you can only atttack" BS I keep finding.
After all, that is the fighter that would benefit from it. And if you want it as another class, "dip" 3 levels into fighter and take Eldritch Knight.
okay so you added 1 level to the dip for a spell caster, and by adding that 1 level you get the spell caster level of 1/3 so it works out perfect, and the most common caster multi into fighter I have seen... three levels. So what changed?

oh what changed is you didn't silo the fighter into only using there abilities in combat...

What has really become glaring to me about the Fighter's Weapon Expert and Weapon Adept features is that they are not increases in power or capability at all, but merely in convenience. A level 13 Fighter with two properties on a weapon is not doing anything they couldn't do since level 1. They just do it a little more conveniently, i.e. by maybe going to their Golf Bag of Weapons one less time every round.

Also yeah I agree with those who say these weapon masteries should have just been a set of techniques Warrior classes can pick and use regardless of their weapon. And to keep weapon choice relevant, those techniques can still have requirements on what types of weapons they work with.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Maybe the Fighter could get something like the Barbarian where they can apply their main attacking modified to other skills as well, but instead of being a random selection of skills the Fighter could pick a mental stat and add the modifier to all skills of that particular stat. Allow for the Wise and Battle Harden Fighter, Intelligent and Strategic Fighter, and the Charismatic and Leader Fighter. Maybe even letting the Fighter gain other abilities depending on the mental stat they choose at higher levels. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Remove ads